PDA

View Full Version : Help with glue up

Jerry Bruette
10-21-2010, 4:58 PM
I need some advice on how to stop two pieces from creeping out of alignment when face gluing. I know I've seen a thread here on the Creek but can't seem to find it.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Jerome Hanby
10-21-2010, 5:10 PM
A couple of dowels could keep them from slipping. Small and in the middle of the faces being glued together should make them unlikely to ever be encountered

Chris Padilla
10-21-2010, 6:04 PM
two brads driven into opposite corners...then cut with a pair of dikes so that just a nub is sticking out

Jerry Bruette
10-21-2010, 6:30 PM
two brads driven into opposite corners...then cut with a pair of dikes so that just a nub is sticking out

I like this idea Chris. What I'm gluing is three triangles. Middle one is 5/4 maple and the outside triangles are 1/4 exotic woods of various species. After the glue is dry I have to cut out various sized curves. So I could put the brads in an area that wil be cut out.

Jerry

Peter Quinn
10-21-2010, 7:35 PM
I use brads or pneumatic 18ga if there is waste that can be cut off later. If not, a bit of pummace or fine sand sprinkled on the glued faces gives an amazing amount of traction to keep things from sliding.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-21-2010, 9:13 PM
Although I have never tried it, I read here once about rubbing some grit (like from sandpaper) into the glue before clamping. acts a little like the brad nubs mentioned above - digs into the wood and keeps it from slipping.

glenn bradley
10-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I do what Chris suggests. I have heard of people using a few grains of silica sand (like you sand blast with) for this but the small pins or brads work for me.

Neil Brooks
10-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Here's what _I_ think your situation cauls for....

http://www.newwoodworker.com/cauls.html

Craig Feuerzeig
10-22-2010, 9:18 AM
Whether you make or buy... curved cauls are your friend. An all important often overlooked benefit of using curved cauls is that when the glue starts squeezing out first in the center, then rushing out (unobstructed) toward each end... the boards do very little skating around. Alignment is easily done as the pressure comes on working out toward each end.

Typically when using a bunch of clamps... you put a clamp in the middle, then one on the end.... then keep splitting the distance in between... causing the boards to want to float around.

Here's an example from just the other day... 11 boards in one shot. Notice no customary top and bottom cauls to keep things aligned... but nice alignment of the boards. Bonus... no clamps at all. :D

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f339/cfeuerzeig/IMG00015-20101006-1230.jpg

Hopefully you'll find this helpful. :)