PDA

View Full Version : Blonde turned Redhead

Roger Chandler
10-21-2010, 4:29 PM
Okay, as per the challenge Steve S. threw at me [he probably just thought it was a suggestion, a possibility] I decided I would do my first try at using dye to color a piece.

I thought I would start off with something simple, as it would be my first, and in these pics, the finish is still wet [did not have much time, and wanted to get it posted, before I'm off to other matters]

The pics are not good [I just gotta get me one of those photo tent thingys :D]

Anyway, maple Stem, ebonized, and maple top [I think....I used a baseball bat blank, so it could be fine grained ash] both pieces dyed with Rit dye, scarlett and black, mixed with DNA.

I have a lot to do to get this finished to my standards, but at least showing it while it is still wet, you get the idea.

Thanks Steve for planting the seed to try something different for me.....if we are not "dye-ing" then maybe we are "dying" to progress in turning??? :eek::D:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2010, 4:44 PM
Roger - looks like it worked pretty good! Nice little goblet!

So, what did you think? Wasn't that hard to do, was it?

Roger Chandler
10-21-2010, 4:52 PM
Roger - looks like it worked pretty good! Nice little goblet!

So, what did you think? Wasn't that hard to do, was it?

No Steve, it wasn't hard, but I did get a few surprises. I found the end grain just soaks the dye up like a sponge. Even though I did use DNA to mix it with, it still raised the grain.

The black on the stem soaked into the maple, and it took about 6 coatings to get it as black as I did. And the rit dye did not completely de-crystalize. some of it did not mix and just stayed on the bottom of the little dish.

This was different from any finish I have ever used, but I will hold my judgment till my wife gets home from work and gives me her critique. If she likes it, then maybe it will be something I do again with other projects and colors.

Michael James
10-21-2010, 4:57 PM
Atta boy!!! colors look great. Methinks you done good!
Michael

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2010, 5:00 PM
Yup - end grain really can suck in the dye - just like a finish! I usually have to soak a piece a couple of times to get it saturated evenly with color.

The RIT does not dissolve completely in DNA. I did find that if I break up the little crystals a little when stirring - the color can get fairly intense. Neat thing about using DNA - whatever crystals didn't dissolve will remain in the bottom of the container and you can use them next time!

The DNA will raise the grain slightly when compared to a water-based finish. I usually only need to make a couple of swipes with a 320 grit sanding sponge to get everything back to smooth.

Roger Chandler
10-21-2010, 5:02 PM
Atta boy!!! colors look great. Methinks you done good!
Michael

MJ,

the colors are nice, but I am going to have to work on the finish a bit more. Probably have to knock down the lacquer with steel wool and then apply wipe on poly.

My first time using rattle can lacquer, and it has a tendency to run, so I am going to have to do some repair work with it.

John Keeton
10-21-2010, 5:02 PM
Roger, a colorful addition to the creek! I would say your baseball blank was maple, BTW. I like the two colors together, and good job on the goblet, as well.

Roger Chandler
10-21-2010, 5:09 PM
Roger, a colorful addition to the creek! I would say your baseball blank was maple, BTW. I like the two colors together, and good job on the goblet, as well.

Thanks John,

I figured since I was going to dye it 2 different colors, that it would be best to turn the top from one piece and the stem from another. I think that baseball blank was maple as well. I have a couple of ash, and they have a bit coarser grain in them.

At least I have another piece for show and tell at out next club meeting......... I might get a bit of ribbing from the guys for playing with dyes and such :D:D;)

Michael James
10-21-2010, 7:04 PM
MJ,

the colors are nice, but I am going to have to work on the finish a bit more. Probably have to knock down the lacquer with steel wool and then apply wipe on poly.

My first time using rattle can lacquer, and it has a tendency to run, so I am going to have to do some repair work with it.

Exactly my point! Everytime you go to achieve your finish there's going to be a little something different. I think you got some good color on the wood and you will probably lose some as you knock it back. As John K did on his last blue piece, he added some of the color to the lacquer overcoat.
Yer in the water buddy..have fun playing with it!:D
PS - dont get too impatient with the lacquer or you'll really have a mess....DAMHIKT!:cool:

Roger Chandler
10-21-2010, 7:07 PM
Exactly my point! Everytime you go to achieve your finish there's going to be a little something different. I think you got some good color on the wood and you will probably lose some as you knock it back. As John K did on his last blue piece, he added some of the color to the lacquer overcoat.
Yer in the water buddy..have fun playing with it!:D
PS - dont get too impatient with the lacquer or you'll really have a mess....DAMHIKT!:cool:

MJ,

Thanks for the warning, er, uh,.......tip! :eek::D;)

Roger Chandler
10-21-2010, 7:50 PM
I said earlier that I would withhold judgment about dye as a coloring for wood turnings until my wife got home and gave her critique.........well, she really did like it a lot. :)

Guess it must be something to this coloring wood trend! :D Of course, my wife is also a redhead, and I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not! :D:D;)

Don Alexander
10-21-2010, 11:13 PM
pretty nice piece although i must say i cringed when you mentioned you "wasted" a baseballbat blank :D

Roger Chandler
10-21-2010, 11:54 PM
pretty nice piece although i must say i cringed when you mentioned you "wasted" a baseballbat blank :D

Don,

Our turning club got dozens and dozens of these [they were all 2nds] rejected for the actual bats. The one I cut a piece off of had some splits 6 inches down from one end, so I am using it for smaller stuff.......that is why I bought about 8 of them for $1.00 each.

I will make some Christmas ornaments as well, and most likely some tool handles for a couple of Thompson gouges I plan to purchase this weekend at our symposium. I don't think I am wasting them! ;):D:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2010, 6:48 PM
Good looking goblet and the dye job looks pretty nice. Just wondering why you would put wipe on poly over the lacquer. Light coats every 1/2 hr will give you a beautiful finish in lacquer with no sanding except if you may want to knock off the gloss look. Just curious.

Roger Chandler
10-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Good looking goblet and the dye job looks pretty nice. Just wondering why you would put wipe on poly over the lacquer. Light coats every 1/2 hr will give you a beautiful finish in lacquer with no sanding except if you may want to knock off the gloss look. Just curious.

Bernie,

I tried spray on lacquer out of a can for the first time, and got a run. I was just hoping to correct that, and I have gotten good results from wipe-on poly in the past.

Time was also an issue........ I did not have time to baby sit this piece, and go back over it over the next couple hours. I plan to knock down the lacquer with some steel wool or 400 grit sand paper and refinish. If you think the rattle can lacquer will be enough, then I'll go for it.

Let me know what you think........thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Roger I just use light coats and have never had a problem with either satin or gloss. I can apply 5 to 7 light coats in 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. I was just asking because I was just curious why you put wipe on poly over lacquer Roger. If I do get a run I let it dry well, sand down the area and reapply. I very seldom ever knock down gloss because most people around here like shiney.

Karl Card
10-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Nice looking goblet and I dont think other colors would have matched as nice.

I do, however, have a question. Which is best or easier or okay to do, dye the piece then lacquer or can you add dye to the lacquer for a transparent color?

Roger Chandler
10-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Nice looking goblet and I dont think other colors would have matched as nice.

I do, however, have a question. Which is best or easier or okay to do, dye the piece then lacquer or can you add dye to the lacquer for a transparent color?

Karl,

since that was my first time using lacquer of any sort, I would like for someone with more experience than I to answer that inquiry........I would guess that adding color would have to be with a brush on lacquer, and not a rattle can like I used for this project.

I think a green and black would look okay, but scarlet and black really do compliment each other! Thanks for your comment :)

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 3:22 PM
Yup - end grain really can suck in the dye - just like a finish! I usually have to soak a piece a couple of times to get it saturated evenly with color.

The RIT does not dissolve completely in DNA. I did find that if I break up the little crystals a little when stirring - the color can get fairly intense. Neat thing about using DNA - whatever crystals didn't dissolve will remain in the bottom of the container and you can use them next time!

The DNA will raise the grain slightly when compared to a water-based finish. I usually only need to make a couple of swipes with a 320 grit sanding sponge to get everything back to smooth.

Steve,

A couple days ago, I did a knock down on the finish and the raised grain, and in the process I was pleasantly surprised as I did not loose much color at all. I used 400 grit, and then a 3M nylon abrasive pad, and then applied wipe-on-poly as the final coat.

Everything smoothed out well, and it looks a lot better than the newly wet lacquer that was in the pics.

Thanks again for your encouragement and tips along the way on my first ever coloring attempt........:)