PDA

View Full Version : Plane Blade Alignment

Brett Bobo
10-21-2010, 11:25 AM
All,
I recently acquired a Record 4 1/2 that was in great shape but the plane blade needed sharpening. After sharpening and the cutting edge being perpendicular to the edge of the blade, there was approximately 1/32" difference between one end of the cutting edge to the mouth compared to the other end of the cutting edge to the mouth of the plane. In other words, the plane blade was "cocked" with the mouth by 1/32" over the length of the cutting edge in order to engage the full width of the cutting edge. Otherwise, I was only cutting with about half the blade if the cutting edge was parallel to the mouth.

What adjustments can be made to correct this so the cutting edge is parallel to the mouth? Is the difference in the sharpening or could the mouth of the plane be out by 1/32" Is this even worth worrying about?

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Philip Rodriquez
10-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Ray,

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=44751&cat=1,41182,41187&ap=1

It is not the same plane... but the lateral adjustment is the same. It is typical and easy to adjust.

Moriz Klonner
08-06-2014, 5:18 AM
All,
I recently acquired a Record 4 1/2 that was in great shape but the plane blade needed sharpening. After sharpening and the cutting edge being perpendicular to the edge of the blade, there was approximately 1/32" difference between one end of the cutting edge to the mouth compared to the other end of the cutting edge to the mouth of the plane. In other words, the plane blade was "cocked" with the mouth by 1/32" over the length of the cutting edge in order to engage the full width of the cutting edge. Otherwise, I was only cutting with about half the blade if the cutting edge was parallel to the mouth.

What adjustments can be made to correct this so the cutting edge is parallel to the mouth? Is the difference in the sharpening or could the mouth of the plane be out by 1/32" Is this even worth worrying about?

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Well, I have the same problem as Brett. However, I could not understand the only answer to this question. I own a Juuma block plane. Even though the plane mouth is perfectly square with the plane body the blade has to protrude unevenly for me to achieve a perfect shaving. The mouth opening will be 1mm on the left side and 1,5-2 mm on the right side of the blade. Could it be that the blade bed is not perpendicular to the sole?

I would appreciate some professional answers :)

Have a good day

Moriz

Dave Cullen
08-06-2014, 11:41 AM
If you hold the plane upside down and sight down the sole into a light, is the cutting edge protruding from the plane body evenly? Judging from the mouth opening doesn't tell the whole story.

Shawn Pixley
08-06-2014, 11:59 AM
I have found this to be most common when the plane blade is tapered. You can have the bevel square to one side and not to the other side. You may want to check that.

Bill White
08-06-2014, 3:32 PM
Use the lateral adjuster for what it is intended.
Sometimes there is too much time spent on micro issues.
Don't mean to sound snarky.
Plane away.
Bill

Moriz Klonner
08-07-2014, 6:21 AM
Yes, the blade is protruding evenly, i get nice and even shavings. I don't have a lateral adjuster as it is a block plane, i have to use a hammer to adjust it.

And yes, possibly it is a micro issue, but it is a block plane with an adjustable mouth. If i want to take off really fine finishing shavings its a bit annoying if one side of the mouth has a really nice minimal opening and the other side is just 1 mm wide. As far as I know the mouth opening should be somewhat even, right?

@shawn pixley: you mean the bevel is not straight? or you mean it is not square to the side of the iron (which should not matter because you can still align it with the sole)

I will check the blade if the edge is straight, but I do believe so...

Thank you all for now, I will report back :)

Jim Matthews
08-07-2014, 7:42 AM
If you want the blade to be square, in the "neutral" position
(with the adjustment lever in the middle) do the following:

Insert the blade without special adjustments, including the cap and lever iron.
Align the adjustment lever to the midline of the plane body.

Advance the blade until a full 1/8" is clear of the sole.

Use a Sharpie marker to scribe a line parallel to the sole,
on the cutting iron.

Grind to that line, and hone by your preferred method.

I suspect the blade is ground askew, as Shawn infers.

Moriz Klonner
08-10-2014, 2:33 PM
So I checked the blade and it was square and straight. I then had the thought that the plane bed could be not parallel with the sole. So after checking that and some filing on the plane bed the blade now sits square and parallel to the mouth when I get even shavings.

But thank you all for your suggestions! ... I guess thats the trade off when you purchase cheaper hand planes