PDA

View Full Version : HF-Black-Translucent

dan carter
10-21-2010, 10:37 AM
When dying wood, is the result meant to totally obscure the wood with the color or is do you want the grain to come thru? That is the question in my products. Whether dying wood or feathers, black is one of the most difficult to obtain. After dying a turned product, I find it tends to lighten up when continuing to finish it. Especially if a lighter colored wood was dyed black. Certainly difference places on the turning take the dye differently, that seems to be the lure of dying wood to me. This vessel is Maple, dyed with leather dye, then 3 times buffed.

Ron Bontz
10-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't know the answer to this one either. But I really like the vessel.:)

bob edwards
10-21-2010, 11:26 AM
IMHO the answer to your first question is "You want the grain to come through" Otherwise you could just use paint.
As for Black I've had good results with alcohol based leather dye but even better with ink. I only do small pieces like finials so it's not that expensive.
the attached is maple with green food coloring and black ink in the finial.

Hope this helps!

David E Keller
10-21-2010, 3:35 PM
Nice piece, Dan. I guess the intent depends on the vision you have for the piece. I tend to prefer the grain to show through, but I can see applications where I might not want that.

I use calligraphy ink to dye woods black on occasion... Bradford pear is my wood of choice for finials/collars where I intend to color them black. It holds details well and takes on a pure black look when finished. I would imagine that any tight grained wood would work, but pear is abundant in my neck of the woods.

Michael James
10-21-2010, 7:12 PM
I'd say piece by piece and/or part by part of a piece. As David mentioned, on finials, collars, bases, pedestals, etc you might want a solid color but not on the main body. Our own Steve S has a piece called "snow and ice" (apologies if I got that wrong) that he used white shoe polish to achieve a solid color. I think it's an awesome piece!
Your piece; your preference.
Nice job, BTW!
mj

Jake Helmboldt
10-23-2010, 7:23 PM
Bob, can you provide some details on how you use food coloring for dying wood? I assume you are using the liquid that comes in the little bottle. Do you use it full strength or dilute it (and with what)?

thanks, Jake

David E Keller
10-23-2010, 8:39 PM
Bob, can you provide some details on how you use food coloring for dying wood? I assume you are using the liquid that comes in the little bottle. Do you use it full strength or dilute it (and with what)?

thanks, Jake

I've used it full strength straight from the bottle and applied with a paper towel.

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Dan that is a nice looking piece. I use india ink for dyeing black. Never had a problem with black.