PDA

View Full Version : How to hand plane in a corner

Jim Dunn
12-23-2004, 5:58 PM
I have a problem. I am building a down draft table and having built the top and trimmed it I now need to bring the trim down to the height of the peg board insert.

Now hand planning in a straight line is not that a big a problem but in the corner, going across the grain, tearing is an issue.:(

As I have said before I am working on rather than in the shop.;) Using skills I learn here and there so as I can apply them to the real world of making something pretty rather than a shop jig.

The peg board will slide on the top, closing the holes, so as to use the vacumn developed in the box housing the motor to provide vacumn for the spindle sander. May work may not.:rolleyes:

Ted Shrader
12-23-2004, 6:51 PM
Jim -

What about using a scraper to get it the rest of the way down in the corners. Use the plane out where you can stay with the grain (or at a skew angle), then scrape the corners.

Ted

Tyler Howell
12-23-2004, 7:03 PM
How about a really sharp LA plane?? Can you close the mouth on you multi colored block??

Jim Dunn
12-23-2004, 7:14 PM
Tyler,

I couldn't keep my mouth closed let alone close it on that cheap piece of.......what ever.

Seriously, I was using a much longer plane with the mouth closed up a small as possible and still had much the same problem.

Again, it's not much of a problem on this piece of work as it's a tool. But just wondering how to approach this type of problem in the future.

Going to try Ted's suggestion to clean up a corner.

Thanks again

Jim

Joel Moskowitz
12-23-2004, 10:05 PM
As you reach the corner skew the plane (so it hits the mitre more or less straight) and then simply turn the corner and plane on.

Jim Dunn
12-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks Joel,

And I looked at your web site for quite a while last evening. Very impressive and informative. When the need arises for neander tools I'll surley give your company a shot at my business

Pam Niedermayer
12-24-2004, 9:12 PM
Couple of ways to do this. 1) Use a chisel bevel down, either pare it or take light taps with a mallet/hammer. Using the chisel bevel down controls tear out, but you should go cross grain whenever possible to eliminate tear out; 2) Think about getting a bull nose plane with a removeable front, at which point it's effectively a chisel plane - LV has a good one.

Pam

Jim Dunn
12-25-2004, 1:56 AM
Thanks Pam

Good excuse to purchase a bull nose plane, I'll tell my wife you insist. :)