PDA

View Full Version : "Trading" a Firearm / Recommendations?

Tim Boger
10-21-2010, 7:03 AM
Hey folks,

I have been wanting to trade a 10/22 Ruger for a larger caliber handgun and don't know what website might be a safe place to offer it up ... also, what sort of paperwork should I use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tim

Jim Sears
10-21-2010, 7:31 AM
Can't offer up much help on where to advertize it. Most public internet classifieds don't allow firearms to be posted. You might try your local newspaper. As far as paperwork is concerned, here in Ohio, if the sale or trade of a firearm is a private transaction, there is no paperwork to be done. If you make a deal with a gunshop or firearms dealer, HE will take care of the paperwork. Nothing for you to do but sign on the dotted line.

David Weaver
10-21-2010, 7:58 AM
This would be trade plus cash?

You have the easy end of the trade, I wouldn't worry too much, though if you want to worry, you can just go through an FFL and offer to pay the cost of the background checks.

For some reason, I think in this state, you're supposed to get a background check done transferring a pistol, but the same doesn't apply for a long gun.

That could be either errant or out of date knowledge, though.

I agree with using the newspaper, even though it's going to be an expensive and iffy way to find someone to trade. I think you are better off selling the 10/22 and buying a pistol. I rarely get trades of anything that isn't really similar to work as well as just selling and buying with the proceeds, there just isn't a good enough supply of people who have what you want, who want what you have, and who will agree on the terms without trying to make it an arbitrage trade in their favor.

Tim Boger
10-21-2010, 8:19 AM
This would be trade plus cash?

You have the easy end of the trade, I wouldn't worry too much, though if you want to worry, you can just go through an FFL and offer to pay the cost of the background checks.

For some reason, I think in this state, you're supposed to get a background check done transferring a pistol, but the same doesn't apply for a long gun.

That could be either errant or out of date knowledge, though.

I agree with using the newspaper, even though it's going to be an expensive and iffy way to find someone to trade. I think you are better off selling the 10/22 and buying a pistol. I rarely get trades of anything that isn't really similar to work as well as just selling and buying with the proceeds, there just isn't a good enough supply of people who have what you want, who want what you have, and who will agree on the terms without trying to make it an arbitrage trade in their favor.

It could be trade plus cash if the perimeters required it, I haven't picked up the classified section of a newspaper in quite a while .... I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info.

John Coloccia
10-21-2010, 8:55 AM
I would never, ever in a zillion years buy or sell a firearm to anyone I didn't know personally. I do all my dealings through dealers now. I gladly take the monetary hit in return for someone else having to deal with the headaches of buying a firearm used in a crime or selling a firearm to someone who will use it in a crime. The latter especially could make a lot of trouble for you until you get it straightened out.

Just my personal opinion.

Dan Hintz
10-21-2010, 9:26 AM
Finding a (semi-)local gun show is probably the best way, IMO... you get to see the trade in person, and you know there's security.

Phil Thien
10-21-2010, 9:28 AM
I'd try to swing keeping the rifle and purchase the handgun, too.

lamar bailey
10-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Your best bet is to sale it at a gun store or pawn shop then buy what you want.
The other option is GunBroker.com but using this you will have to take it and FFL and have him ship it to another FFL. FFL holders charge anywhere from $10 -$30 just to do the paper work.

You could sale it to someone local and an FFL could do all the paperwork for both of you at the same time.

In GA you can sale it or trade it to anyone in GA without any need for paper work. Come down here and lets make a deal :)

Bryan Morgan
10-21-2010, 3:33 PM
Hey folks,

I have been wanting to trade a 10/22 Ruger for a larger caliber handgun and don't know what website might be a safe place to offer it up ... also, what sort of paperwork should I use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tim

Is it a stock rifle? I'm not sure how great of a pistol you could get in trade considering that rifle is ~200 bucks brand new. That rifle is fairly ubiquitous to the landscape of America (I have a couple myself) and its a great little shooter. I'd just keep it if I were you. What kind of pistol are you going to trade it for?

Your safest bet is just heading over to your local gun shop. They may offer you some credit towards a new or used pistol and everything will be nice and easy and legal (a benefit in this firearms/freedom hostile new era). ;)

Tim Boger
10-21-2010, 8:21 PM
Is it a stock rifle? I'm not sure how great of a pistol you could get in trade considering that rifle is ~200 bucks brand new. That rifle is fairly ubiquitous to the landscape of America (I have a couple myself) and its a great little shooter. I'd just keep it if I were you. What kind of pistol are you going to trade it for?

Your safest bet is just heading over to your local gun shop. They may offer you some credit towards a new or used pistol and everything will be nice and easy and legal (a benefit in this firearms/freedom hostile new era). ;)

Hey Bryan,

The rifle is as you say ubiquitous, I do however have a pretty nice Bushnell scope installed and a Ruger Logo soft case. I suppose in the world of firearms it's retail value of $350 would be considered quite low.

I could hang on to it as some here have suggested but I'd like to put the value of the rifle into the transaction of acquiring a revolver. I'm not a gun enthusiast and find that I don't use the rifle for plinking as I thought I would.

Thanks to all for the ideas, opinions and suggestions.

Tim

Rick Potter
10-22-2010, 3:41 AM
Tim,

How about just asking your local PD what procedures are legal, and what they might recommend?

RP

Rich Engelhardt
10-22-2010, 6:10 AM
www dot thefiringline dot com

They'll point you in the right direction.

Also - since you aren't a "gun enthusiast", you'll want to check out both the price of centerfire ammunition as well as the degree of difficulty involved in shooting a handgun before you make a final decision.
Take some time to scan some of the posts at the above site in the general handgun forum and the revolver forum.

David Weaver
10-22-2010, 7:56 AM
It's a good time to become a reloader or bullet caster, but even that is getting a lot more expensive.

Bryan Morgan
10-22-2010, 5:02 PM
Hey Bryan,

The rifle is as you say ubiquitous, I do however have a pretty nice Bushnell scope installed and a Ruger Logo soft case. I suppose in the world of firearms it's retail value of $350 would be considered quite low.

I could hang on to it as some here have suggested but I'd like to put the value of the rifle into the transaction of acquiring a revolver. I'm not a gun enthusiast and find that I don't use the rifle for plinking as I thought I would.

Thanks to all for the ideas, opinions and suggestions.

Tim

You might look into police trade ins at your local gun shop. You might be able to do a direct swap for an older S&W .38 revolver or something similar. Great shooters, easy to shoot, reliable, .38 ammo isn't overly expensive (all centerfire cartridges are expensive these days...). No hassle, minimal paperwork, don't have to deal with potential riff raff... Police trade ins are always a great deal because they are rarely used. Some brands of firearms you can ship back to the manufacturer and they will service it and basically make it safe and nearly brand new for free (other than shipping).

I don't know if you have a Turners near you but its Glocktoberfest and they have some good deals if you want to go that route. I don't know if used Glocks are included in that. Its not a revolver but its a very reliable make of pistol available in many shapes and sizes. Police trade ins are usually models 17 or 22 that I've seen.

Bryan Morgan
10-22-2010, 5:04 PM
It's a good time to become a reloader or bullet caster, but even that is getting a lot more expensive.

Have you seen the cost of brass or actual copper jacketed bullets lately? Man! Even propellant is getting up there, as well as primers. I reload .223, .45, and 9mm (I dunno why 9mm, its not really any cheaper than Winchester bulk)

Joe Chritz
10-23-2010, 12:43 PM
gunbroker.com for trades or purchases on line. It is the gun worlds ebay.

You won't get much in trade for a 10/22 with a bushnell scope unless you have high end and almost new on both but if someone is looking for another 22 it could help a lot on a trade for some kind of handgun.

All trades will have to go through a FFL unless they are face to face in which case you would need to follow your local rules on handgun purchases. Here in MI you need a purchase permit or CPL to buy a handgun from an individual. Long guns just need cash as long as the gun itself is legal to own and sell.

My last police trade in was well maintained but well used. I personally put over 10K rounds through it myself.

Joe

Bill Cunningham
10-23-2010, 10:25 PM
If you just want another nice rifle, I bought a .17 HMR a while back, and now I'm in love with that cartridge. A 20gr bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2550 fps and hits with 289 footpound of energy. You can actually see the 'splash' when it hits the groundhog :D I bought one of the 'new' Henry AR-7 Survival Rifles (the old ones were a jamb-o-matic, the new ones are much more reliable). If they made it for that cartridge instead of the .22 it would be an amazing little takedown rifle!

Mac McQuinn
10-24-2010, 12:51 AM
There is a forum I visit occasionally called RimfireCentral.com with a very active classifieds section. Lots of selling, trading and buying there. Also check out ATF's website which has a good FAQ. Good Luck

Mac