PDA

View Full Version : Large ambrosia maple butt log in N. CT

Ken Platt
10-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Folks -

A friend of mine offered me this log, but it was bigger than I thought I could deal with, so I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in taking it.

I think the tree was a red maple, but it was already down and I'd only seen it once awhile back. Anyhow, the log is about 5 feet long. The base is maybe 3 feet diameter. It branches about halfway down the length into two 20" diameter trunks. The end grain ambrosia marks run pretty much right around the periphery of the base and both trunks, so I figure they run all the way down the log.

It's in Enfield, CT. Let me know if you are interested. My friend was going to try to cut the two trunks off the base....but I'm still not sure I can process it. Lotta blanks there. Thanks -

Ken

Fred Perreault
10-21-2010, 5:43 PM
Do you have a pic of the wood?

Ken Platt
10-21-2010, 5:54 PM
Sorry, I don't. Perhaps I was too far gone in mourning that I had to leave the huge log behind...:D

Seriously, if you have the means to deal with this monster and need a pic before coming, I can ask my friend whose home it is at.

Ken

scott schmidt grasshopper
10-22-2010, 1:26 PM
brings up a sawmill question, if a tree falls and there are no pictures, did it not happen?
too far from oregon to come for it, sorry to hear..

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-22-2010, 1:30 PM
besides turning, is it a good candidate to be milled into boards?