PDA

View Full Version : David K. - Ms. Keeton's Candle Stand - In Use!

John Keeton
10-20-2010, 7:45 PM
For those that viewed the thread with Ms. Keeton's candlestand , I commented that I wish I had added a little thickness to the top by way of a "step" underneath.

Some viewers said they were considering a candlestand, and David Keller, commented - "I'd have to see it with Mrs. Keeton's candle on it. For utility pieces, I think it helps to view the piece as it will be used."

So, I thought it might be helpful to others to post a pic with the stand in use. With the candle on it, I am not so sure about whether the added thickness is needed in the top. Comments?

Terry Murphy
10-20-2010, 7:49 PM
Maybe? But looks awful good as is.
Terry
PS: I may have to copy !

Baxter Smith
10-20-2010, 7:54 PM
Not sure, I think I would have to see it with her greenery around it!;)

Doug W Swanson
10-20-2010, 8:01 PM
John,
I think it looks very good just the way it is. In fact, it would go well with the decor in our house!

I would not change anything.

JMO

John Keeton
10-20-2010, 8:02 PM
Not sure, I think I would have to see it with her greenery around it!;)Baxter, we discussed that, and while she has an abundance (putting it mildly!) of candles, she wasn't sure she wanted to use it with greenery. Who knows, I am just the laborer!:)

Baxter Smith
10-20-2010, 8:07 PM
Baxter, we discussed that, and while she has an abundance (putting it mildly!) of candles, she wasn't sure she wanted to use it with greenery. Who knows, I am just the laborer!:)
No greenery?:eek: She must approve of your turning!:)

Roger Chandler
10-20-2010, 8:12 PM
Right snazzy there John! :D Mrs. K. will enjoy it, I am sure, and it does not need any more underneath IMHO!

David E Keller
10-20-2010, 8:20 PM
I like it. I don't think I would change anything about the stand. For some reason, I think a taller candle might be even more attractive... My brain seems to be looking for the 1/3 to 2/3 ratio in everything.:eek:

David DeCristoforo
10-20-2010, 8:26 PM
I like it! But I hope that's a 100% pure raw beeswax candle!

Steve Schlumpf
10-20-2010, 8:29 PM
John - it obviously works well just as it is - but I also think that had you placed a small step in there, the added heft would not detract from the turning.

Michael James
10-20-2010, 8:33 PM
Nice work John and very sneaky behavior pre holidays... are you leaving hints for something near the candle stand?:D
My only question would be does it fit as it where it will be used. Lil missie here took about 5yrs to get her dining room, china cab, corner display cabs, etc "just right". I get no say in that dept..but she did let a small walnut bowl stay on the silverwear hutch...:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2010, 9:14 PM
John I like it as is. I don't think you needed the added heft.

John Keeton
10-20-2010, 9:14 PM
Thanks for the vote of approval, guys!

Michael, Ms. Keeton and I have a great arrangement - I get my shop, and a bathroom - the rest is her domain! Seems fair to me?!?!?:confused: And, she has enough Christmas decorations to do Biltmore Estate! Who knows where this thing will get placed.

Cathy Schaewe
10-20-2010, 11:08 PM
I like it. I don't think I would change anything about the stand. For some reason, I think a taller candle might be even more attractive... My brain seems to be looking for the 1/3 to 2/3 ratio in everything.:eek:

That's the first thing I thought when I looked at it - it needs a taller candle. Maybe you could turn a fake one and dye it?

Cathy Schaewe
10-20-2010, 11:09 PM

Michael, Ms. Keeton and I have a great arrangement - I get my shop, and a bathroom - the rest is her domain! Seems fair to me?!?!?:confused: And, she has enough Christmas decorations to do Biltmore Estate! Who knows where this thing will get placed.

Hey, wow, you get a bathroom?!?!;);)

Leo Van Der Loo
10-21-2010, 1:05 PM

Hi John, oh not so fast with the approval now :D :D :D

I don?t think it is so much about of ?does it look OK? as could it or would it look better with some extra wood under the top, and I think that yes like the foot could be flat but looks better with that little extra build up in thickness, so would IMO some extra thickness of the wood under the top platter make for a better looking candle holder, not disk like maybe but more like you did on the foot.

Just my way of looking at it ;)

John Keeton
10-21-2010, 1:20 PM
Leo, that was my first gut reaction, and certainly without a candle, it stands out even more. I do believe the candle diminishes, but does not eliminate the "problem" of the top not having enough mass.

Paul Douglass
10-21-2010, 1:29 PM
I'm sure glad I don't have as critical eye as you guys. I like it just as is. Fells good to be satisfied. I do have John beat on one area. I have a work shop with a bathroom and a computer/TV room connected and a refrig just in the next room.... Life is good. Well I guess there is one complaint, I can't get my wife to deliver my dinner down to me. I have to go get it.

Prashun Patel
10-21-2010, 1:33 PM
John, you have a design eye to aspire to. Thanks for posting.

steven carter
10-21-2010, 1:59 PM
John,

It certainly looks good the way it is, but to my eye it's not that it needs more thickness under the candle, but maybe it has enough thickness near the center, and too much thickness as it goes toward the outside. I think a significant ogee shape at the edge would slim the visual of toward the rim, and give the appearance of more bulk at the center. Just my .02

Steve

Mark Hix
10-21-2010, 8:17 PM
looks great to us but the real question is:
How does Mrs. K like it?

John Keeton
10-21-2010, 8:31 PM
Thanks, Prashun, but I don't think I got this one just right!

I have a work shop with a bathroom and a computer/TV room connected and a refrig just in the next room....Ahhhhh....the privileged few!!

John,

It certainly looks good the way it is, but to my eye it's not that it needs more thickness under the candle, but maybe it has enough thickness near the center, and too much thickness as it goes toward the outside. I think a significant ogee shape at the edge would slim the visual of toward the rim, and give the appearance of more bulk at the center. Just my .02

SteveSteve, because of the recessed top, there probably is not enough wood to do a heavy ogee at the edge. The under profile was an attempt to provide some interest, and with some extra thickness in an area around the top of the spindle I think the profile could have been done to leave a lighter appearance at the edge.

looks great to us but the real question is:
How does Mrs. K like it?Mark, fortunately, Ms. K likes it very well!