PDA

View Full Version : Trotec or ULS

Ed Lang
10-20-2010, 5:30 PM
I would like to hear from Trotec users as well as Universal Laser System users. If there is anyone who knows both systems, I would really like to hear from you-

I am considering a Universal Laser Systems VLS4.60 50W vs a Trotec Speedy 300 45W machine.

I have been very happy with my two Universal Laser Systems, M-300 50W and the VLS4.60 50W. I have no experience with the Trotec.

Opinions wanted.

Thank you
Ed

Dan Hintz
10-20-2010, 7:48 PM
If I had to do it over again and had the extra money to throw at it, I'd go for the Trotec. I really like my ULS, but their inability to properly handle technical difficulties (bugs in the drivers, for example, or helping me diagnose a problem) leads me to view them as an "also ran" type of company.

For what you'll likely spend on that ULS system, you're probably darn close to the Trotec Speedy 300 system Chip is selling with a 60W cartridge, rotary, etc.

If you pick it up, I wouldn't mind the magazines he's including with the system... a finder's fee, if you will :D

Scott Shepherd
10-20-2010, 8:11 PM
You know dog gone well that Trotec won't fit in your shop. I, on the other hand, have plenty of conditioned space for it. Plus, it'll cost more to ship it up in the woods as opposed to the city here :)

That's 84...... well, you know the address. I promise to treat it nice, give it baths, and take it for long walks to make sure it's tired when it sleeps at night. I'll feed it well and even let you come visit it after 6:00pm most days, appointment required ;)

No need for a lift gate truck, we have a loading dock :D

Randy Digby
10-20-2010, 8:29 PM
I can only address Trotec and their service. I've had my Speedy 100 30W for about 16 months now and had my first real "bump" about two weeks ago. The timing belt that drives the X axis movement split. An email to my salesman brought a phone response in less than five minutes with a replacement belt in hand the next day (machine was not down, just injured). The factory rep stayed on line with me for about 45 minutes and talked me through the belt replacement. The factory rep indicated at that time if I had additional problems with the belt, they would replace the entire X axis.

Monday morning, on my second job, the first 1/8" of text on an engraving job was ever so slightly slanted - looked like italics text. (Machine has run almost full time since then with no problems.) Within five minutes of my sending a pic of the engraving by email to my salesman, he calls me. Fifteen minutes later everything was in motion, the factory rep would send me an entire X axis (motor, control board, cross arm, etc.) for me to swap out - at no charge. I received the X axis today and will do the replacement Friday (I have to be out of the office tomorrow) with tech support on phone walking me through.

I'm not sure what warranty is offered by other mfgs, but the Trotec is two years and they have impressed me with their response.

Ed Lang
10-20-2010, 9:26 PM
With folks like Scott, how could I go wrong?:eek:

Ed Lang
10-20-2010, 9:27 PM
Good luck Randy, let us know how it all turns out after you work on it.

Ed Lang
10-20-2010, 9:28 PM
Thanks Dan for the info. If I should go that route, I will keep you in mind.

Mike Null
10-21-2010, 7:21 AM
Ed

I'm into my fourth year with the same Trotec you're looking at. I consider it my best equipment decision. I've yet to replace a part.

Feel free to give me a call.

Michael Kowalczyk
10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey Ed, I say skip the Trotec because if you get one then I'll have another competitor with the same advantages as me.:D

All kidding aside My 2003 60 watt Trotec Speedy II is still on it's original laser cartridge and last time I checked it on the power meter it was around 74 watts+-. Have had a few minor issues and one major one but all were handled professionally and quickly by tech support.
Minor ones were:

cracked lens- replaced next day

air assist not working- pump replaced next day
*** the above happened under a 3 year warranty****

*** the below happened out of warranty****
banding when engraving- updated firmware and walked through it over phone.

not cutting or engraving in lower right corner- Cleaned mirrors from laser to lens and it corrected the problem but discovered metal dusk was the culprit. it was coming from the timing belt bearing.

Major one was an old style timing belt bearing had finally disintegrated.
ordered new style bearings (for both sides) and new timing belt just to be safe. Installed belt using special tool supplied by tech support (just had to pay shipping back and forth for it) and laser is back up with no other issues to current day.

I can't say anything about the other lasers as I do not own any of them by choice though I did look at all available and test most of them before I made my decision to get my Trotec.