PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Sovereign Ultima Hollowing Tool

John Fabre
10-20-2010, 4:51 PM
Has anybody used the new Sorby Sovereign Ultima Hollowing Tool? What are your thoughts? Anything better out there? Pros and cons? What size 22" or 16" did you try?

Alan Zenreich
10-20-2010, 5:32 PM
I'm curious how this compares to the similar looking, but gated, JT Turning Tools "Trans-Former (http://www.jtturningtools.com/trans-former)" tools.

I like the fully articulated arm rigs like the one from Monster, but if my experience with purchasing vacuum components from JT are any indication of their quality, I'd have high hopes for the Trans-Former.

Steve Mawson
10-20-2010, 7:45 PM
Have not tried the Sorby but do have the JT system which I find to be a very nice tool. Have not ever had to full depth yet but has done very well up to about 10" deep. I have the 8mm cutter which does a nice job. Can be used without the gate if you prefer. Pretty easy to set up and use.

George Guadiane
10-21-2010, 12:43 AM
I have the Rolly Munro hollowing tools, they look more streamline and just as sturdy as the Sorby tool and I LOVE my Munro hollowers when working with my Monster articulated arm hollowing setup...

Having said that, the JT setup looks REALLY good! If I didn't already have the Munro tools, depending on cost, I might be easily tempted to buy the JT setup, depending on the price comparison.

Have not used the Sorby, but would definitely take a hard look at the others before going with the "Ultima."

Philip Duffy
10-21-2010, 5:16 AM
Alan, What is the rig holding your hollowing tool? It looks like something that we could all afford and yet it looks pretty effective. Please comment. Philip

Alan Zenreich
10-21-2010, 6:35 AM
Philip,

I don't have a hollowing tool yet. That's a photo from the Trans-Former product web page. The tool rest is their "Gate"

Click on the Trans-Former link in my message for more information.

There are several good products out there, and this discussion is a great way to help those of us who are looking to buy something.

George Guadiane
10-21-2010, 9:57 AM
I have the Rolly Munro hollowing tools, they look more streamline and just as sturdy as the Sorby tool and I LOVE my Munro hollowers when working with my Monster articulated arm hollowing setup...

Having said that, the JT setup looks REALLY good! If I didn't already have the Munro tools, depending on cost, I might be easily tempted to buy the JT setup, depending on the price comparison.

Have not used the Sorby, but would definitely take a hard look at the others before going with the "Ultima."

I need to add a couple of things;
The Munro tool with the more streamlined head looks like it will fit through a smaller hole than any of the others.
And the gate setup on the JT looks like it might bind (and maybe nick the gate) with a big catch. The squared edges of the tool shaft might be a problem on the openings of hollow forms (can you tell, I really like my Rolly).

John Fabre
10-21-2010, 2:43 PM
What about price on the other two, I can get the Ultima for $132.00. I already have the Sorby 22" handle.

George Guadiane
10-21-2010, 3:42 PM
What about price on the other two, I can get the Ultima for $132.00. I already have the Sorby 22" handle.
The Munro tools are more, I don't know about the JT
I started hollowing with sharpened screwdrivers, you can use almost anything to turn. A "good price" doesn't a good tool make. If you CAN, find someone who has one and ask if you can try it, and the others if you can find them. Any of them may just suit you better, buy that one.
Not sure what else to tell you.

John Fabre
10-24-2010, 1:15 AM
I really like what i'm reading on the Munro and the JT, thanks for the input. Has anyone tried the new Easy Wood hollowing tool?