PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out to dry

Karl Card
10-20-2010, 4:07 PM
Here are a few pens that I am working on. I take and turn, sand, put them on a piece of wire and dip them in lacquer, let it dry and do it three more times than put on lathe, wire wool it, then triple EEE it then a layer or two of wax. Different I guess.lol

Scott Hackler
10-20-2010, 4:25 PM
Karl, what do you do about the lacquer that gets inside the tube? I have thought about doing just this before... but I'm a lazy/shortcut loving turner and want to get the pen done quickly... so I generally do the BLO CA method.

Karl Card
10-20-2010, 5:26 PM
Karl, what do you do about the lacquer that gets inside the tube? I have thought about doing just this before... but I'm a lazy/shortcut loving turner and want to get the pen done quickly... so I generally do the BLO CA method.

Scott, as long as the lacquer dries thoroughly all you have to do is run the bit, that you use to square the end of it up with, through it once or twice from each end and that seems to do the trick. I do know what you mean about quick but now that I am going to school this method really fits into the scheme of things and to me is more reliable. I know how it is always going to turn out where with ca man I was ready to throw things.

David E Keller
10-20-2010, 8:14 PM
Interesting idea, Karl. I'm afraid I don't have the patience to try that, but I'll bet it does give a great finish.

Brian Brown
10-21-2010, 7:29 PM
What kind of lacquer do you use that doesn't run or sag?

John Keeton
10-21-2010, 7:48 PM
Karl, I think a couple of the game call turners dip some of their calls, as well. IIRC, they use a spar poly mix.

I recall seeing the pics of the "wall o' wood", of which this shows a portion!!!:D From the looks of that load on that piece of PT wood, you may want to stack up a middle support!!

I think you have an addiction! I know one when I see one - I see it everyday when I look in the mirror!:o

Karl Card
10-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Karl, I think a couple of the game call turners dip some of their calls, as well. IIRC, they use a spar poly mix.

I recall seeing the pics of the "wall o' wood", of which this shows a portion!!!:D From the looks of that load on that piece of PT wood, you may want to stack up a middle support!!

I think you have an addiction! I know one when I see one - I see it everyday when I look in the mirror!:o

Hi John,
I resemble that remark...lol

James Combs
10-24-2010, 5:37 PM
What kind of lacquer do you use that doesn't run or sag?

Ditto Brian's question?

Karl Card
10-24-2010, 9:59 PM
I use the Deft brushing lacquer. It does run but if I let the lacquer cure good the run is easily sanded down. Once the EEE is put to it you can tell nothing of the run. I never have runs in the middle or top of blanks jsut at the end where it leaves a small "ring" of lacquer. I will eventualy get setup to spray cat lacquer but until then this is it.