PDA

View Full Version : Best Moxon designs?

Tim Null
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Anyone have designs/pictures of their builds. I am planning to build one myself. I have 1 1/2" dowels and a manual thread cutter.

How did you build yours? Does the front vice face simply slide back manually or did you put some sort of stop to allow the screws to move it in both directions?

Any other tricks or techniques?

Tim Null
10-20-2010, 7:05 PM
Anyone have any thoughts?

george wilson
10-20-2010, 7:39 PM
Build one what??? A vise??

Al Navas
10-20-2010, 9:08 PM
Anyone have designs/pictures of their builds. I am planning to build one myself. I have 1 1/2" dowels and a manual thread cutter.

How did you build yours? Does the front vice face simply slide back manually or did you put some sort of stop to allow the screws to move it in both directions?

Any other tricks or techniques?
Tim,

I built this Moxon double-screw vise this past weekend, and made a 2-minute video:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/double-screw-vise.png

You will find the 2-minute video on the blog at my web site (you will the web site URL under my Profile) - the article is titled "A nice project for the shop: Moxon’s double-screw vise".

I simply turned down the area behind the threads until they just fit into the threaded holes of the front jaw.It works great! There is no need to use a garter or any such device to keep the front jaw stationary.

Al

Josh Rudolph
10-20-2010, 9:22 PM
The Moxon Double Screw Vise...do a quick google search and look at the one that PWW built.

Funny the timing on this. I have some drawers I need to make and don't have a decent enough vise/bench setup so I had the his idea of building a clamping mechanism to set on my bench, that would allow me to essentially saw DT's on top of my bench. Did a little research and low and behold it is the Moxon Double screw vise. Found info on it from the PWW blog and on fellow creeker Al Navas' blog (looks like he beat me to it). Not sure how I will be doing mine yet either but will be watching this thread to see if anyone replies with ideas.