PDA

View Full Version : You Get What You Pay For??

Bruce Page
12-23-2004, 2:16 PM
WW Dollars vs. Machine Shop Dollars – I don’t understand the pricing logic. :confused:

I just replaced the VS drive pulley assembly & belt on my Lagun FTV-2 milling machine.

Pic one – PM Model 15, 3hp Planer, delivered to your door: $ 1,199.99

Pic two - VS drive pulley assembly & belt, delivered to your door: $1,268.60

Dan Mages
12-23-2004, 2:31 PM
You can always buy a 40 year old bottle of MacAllan Scotch for that price.

Dan

John Shuk
12-23-2004, 4:51 PM
I would say to start where it was made and how many are produced each year is important in pricing. The PMM is made to close tolerances but the pully might be a little tighter. There is no rhyme or reason to things sometimes.

Jack Diemer
12-23-2004, 5:08 PM
Given a choice, I would take the contents in Picture One.

Ted Shrader
12-23-2004, 7:00 PM
Bruce

Check on the box. See where it says L a g u n a? Those letters in that combination are kind of pricey. :) :)

Mass production will significantly lower the costs over those components produced in a limited rate production. The tolerances required and the labor costs are also a factor.

Ted

John Weber
12-23-2004, 9:06 PM
Good old Supply and Demand, now if Walmart convinced the mfg to move production to China and ordered a million units, the price would really drop... I guess I should edit that last part since Christmas is so close...

John

Bruce Page
12-23-2004, 9:45 PM
Given a choice, I would take the contents in Picture One.
I already have the PM but I sure could find other uses in the shop with the $$ spent in pic 2!

I know it's all about supply & demand, and the pully assembly is designed to survive the rigors of the commercial machine shop but if Wally-World did get involved, I figure it would cost about $125.00.

A 40 year old bottle of MacAllan Scotch sounds pretty good right now. Hell, I'd settle for a pint of JD! :rolleyes: