PDA

View Full Version : From Allied to Axis

john brenton
10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't know how this happened but German and Japanese hand tools are encroaching into my shop and pushing the British out. The Americans are holding their ground quite firmly though.

Jim Koepke
10-20-2010, 12:22 PM
What is that old saying? "Without pictures, or at least an explanation, it didn't happen.

My guess is also that if you are buying newer tools more from those origins may be available.

Now that I am in the "Pacific North West, my tool hunting has not been as prolific as when I lived in the San Francisco area. This area didn't see a lot of development until the end of the 19th century. There are not as many "old tools" available here as there are to be found in the east. I am guessing that Savannah is the one in Georgia.

jtk

john brenton
10-20-2010, 1:07 PM
I have plenty of old English and early American tools that mostly have come from people taking them with them from the North when they move down here, then wanting to get rid of them to make space.

Maybe it is the newer thing...and that to me the German tools seem to be more utilitarian, where the English tools seem too posh to me...I almost don't want to abuse them, but that's how I work. I like to get in there and do damage. It's all in my head I'm sure, as my English planes have all stood up to my clumsiness and impatience.

I would think that the Pacific Northwest would be swimming with carpentry tools from all periods, as it is such a lumber rich area...I'm sure you have access to all things lumberjack though.

What is that old saying? "Without pictures, or at least an explanation, it didn't happen.

My guess is also that if you are buying newer tools more from those origins may be available.

Now that I am in the "Pacific North West, my tool hunting has not been as prolific as when I lived in the San Francisco area. This area didn't see a lot of development until the end of the 19th century. There are not as many "old tools" available here as there are to be found in the east. I am guessing that Savannah is the one in Georgia.

jtk

george wilson
10-20-2010, 1:43 PM
I have several German made machine accessories. One is a very high quality tilting table for milling made by Mauser.

Jim Koepke
10-20-2010, 1:51 PM
I would think that the Pacific Northwest would be swimming with carpentry tools from all periods, as it is such a lumber rich area...I'm sure you have access to all things lumberjack though.

My wife has even found some in the yard with a metal detector.

Most of the lumber went down the river to be shipped to the cities. Portland and parts of Oregon are good hunting grounds.

That may be one of the things about the stoutness of the tools.

My experience is if the tool has to be hit hard, it is probably in need of being sharpened.

It may also be the difference in the traditions of finesse as compared to the tradition of muscle power.

jtk

george wilson
10-20-2010, 1:55 PM
I lived in Renton,Seattle when I was in the 3rd. grade. Then,to Alaska for 7 years. Was too young to look for tools then.(in Seattle). We went to Alaska an an ancient steamer,the Baranoff. A few years later,it was scrapped in Japan.