PDA

View Full Version : Router bit for cutting crown angles?

Troy Turner
10-20-2010, 9:09 AM
Morning all -

Anyone have any experience using those bits that cut the angles on crown moulding? Just for the price of the crown for our bedroom, they would pay for themselves.

Just curious if they work or if there's a better way?!?

Thanks for the inputs

Paul Johnstone
10-21-2010, 4:21 PM
Morning all -

Anyone have any experience using those bits that cut the angles on crown moulding? Just for the price of the crown for our bedroom, they would pay for themselves.

Just curious if they work or if there's a better way?!?

Thanks for the inputs

I have not used crown molding router bits. However, I have made 3/4" roundover molding to go with my baseboards during remodeling.
You need a large router table in order to do this, as you want to be able to route as long as pieces as possible.

I have made cove molding on a shaper (similiar to the operation you propose), but the longest pieces was only about 4'.. It takes practice to be able to feed the board on edge, and set up feather boards, etc and get good results. Even with a shaper, I had to take multiple passes to get good results.. Maybe someone more skilled could do it one pass. On a router table, you'll definitely need multiple passes.

So, the answer to your question is this: Yes, you can do it, and save some money, but it's a lot of labor. DIY molding without a molding machine is a lot of labor and time consuming. This is one of those classic questions that only you can answer.. Is the time spent worth the money saved?
Maybe start off with one small room and see if you want to continue with the rest of the house.