PDA

View Full Version : Are Chinese Laser Machines Any Good?

Ricardo Capelli
10-19-2010, 9:37 PM
I am considering buying my first laser machine. I have seen Chinese made machines sold here in USA on eBay for a fraction of the cost of Universal or Epilog. Are these any good. An 80 Watts 36X24 is less than $7000. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Rick :)

greg lindsey
10-19-2010, 9:42 PM
There are plenty of posts/threads on here to help you make an informed decision, let the search feature be your friend. In my experience, you get what you pay for.

Joe Pelonio
10-19-2010, 9:52 PM
Like Greg said, this has been discussed a lot. I'd say a few very happy Chinese laser owners, many unhappy ones, but read the stories.

Curt Heggemeyer
10-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Depends a lot on what you are going to be doing with it.
I have a 46 x 36 machine ans is 60 watt and it cuts 1/2 acrylic just fine and works really good and I got mine used with everything I needed because the guy was getting a larger one.

I run a sign business and we cut a lot of stuff and do a little engraving on the side. Mine will run some days all day for several days, than it might sit for a month. So for me I couldnt see spending 30 grand for a machine I use 1/2 a yr. Everyones budget is different.
Now if you are going to make your living using just the laser than yes I would have looked at a US made laser for the support etc. There are dealers in the US for the chinese made lasers and have helped me with any question I have. I am also the type that will jump in and work on my own equipment too.

So best is to think of how much you are going to use it and how much you want to spend. You can always get a better machine in the future if you wanted to at least get your name out there in the laser market to test the water before committing to a high dollar machine.

Thats my 2 cents

Like Greg said, this has been discussed a lot. I'd say a few very happy Chinese laser owners, many unhappy ones, but read the stories.

John Frazee
10-20-2010, 2:29 PM
There are plenty of posts/threads on here to help you make an informed decision, let the search feature be your friend. In my experience, you get what you pay for.

I got what I paid for in buying chinese. I paid $10,000 for a chinese machine that would have costs $25,000 here. Christmas will be three years and it's still going strong! Some people slam the chinese machines while others praise them. I can tell you haven't done much reading here. This forum is very helpful as you should find answers to any questions you may have. Spend some time and go page by page.

pete hagan
10-20-2010, 8:40 PM
I bought my chinese laser three years ago and have been quite happy once I overcame the initial learning curve to get stuff to work well. I doubt I would buy a USA based laser unless I really needed daily production capabilities.

Dean Barber
10-20-2010, 8:47 PM
We are also very happy with our chinese laser. We bought from a US distributor and not directly from china.

Ricardo Capelli
10-20-2010, 8:54 PM
May I ask where did you buy it.

Dean Barber
10-20-2010, 9:45 PM
We got ours from legacy lasers

David H. Mitchell
10-22-2010, 2:30 PM
Joe,
I think you better check your numbers. I think the Chinese lasers, will do anything that the US, so called Lasers can do. Many times with options that are much more expensive on US Lasers. I have a Bright Star, 3 years. Not a problem other than operator errors, call my tech and presto, he does an excellent. If anyone is interested, Jim Olson @ Bright Star. Their website is BrightStar.com.

Just my 2 cents.\

Thanks,
Dave

Ricardo Capelli
10-22-2010, 4:51 PM
Dave

brightstar.com is not a laser company website!

Joe De Medeiros
10-22-2010, 4:58 PM
Dave

brightstar.com is not a laser company website!

brightstarlasers dot com

greg lindsey
10-22-2010, 7:32 PM
My reply was intended for the <2000.00 lasers, you find on ebay. I am sure some of you have great Chinese machines that you pd decent money for. It was my opinion, that's was he was asking for. My American made machines are as old as 15 years and still operating on the same tubes, very few optics or mirror changes and still factory tech supported. But, I take very good care of my machines. I wasn't knocking anyone's machines. I just want to see how many of the "cheap made machines" are still around in 10 + years. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. Competion is the spice of life.

Pete Bejmuk
10-23-2010, 2:39 PM
a common complaint i've heard is that the laser tubes don't work when the system arrives, due to leakages. and you can't replace the tubes, you just replace the entire machine.

i've also heard that some brands get seized by US customs due to not meeting safety regs with lasers.

give them about 10 more years and they'll be better. cost won't stay as low though.

Dan Hintz
10-23-2010, 8:36 PM
a common complaint i've heard is that the laser tubes don't work when the system arrives, due to leakages. and you can't replace the tubes, you just replace the entire machine.
False... tubes from 30-100W can be had on eBay for way less than the cost of the machine as a whole. Still, I'd be pretty miffed if my new machine didn't work and was forced to purchase something else...

Keith Outten
10-23-2010, 10:31 PM
I lost a laser tube on my Epilog Legend 24 with approximately 500 hours on the machine. It happened just outside of the 12 month warranty.

After several years I still am using the original Corel Draw driver that shipped with the Xenetech XLT1325 laser engraver we purchased at CNU. The driver is more than just frustrating, it is embarrassing that a $35,000 machine shipped with such a unprofessional piece of software and the company hasn't been able to provide me with a revised driver that works properly. There are work-arounds for the problems but I shouldn't have to waste my time every day when we paid for a professional machine.

There have been problems shared here concerning every manufacturer and most models of laser engravers. It is probably inaccurate to label all Chinese machines as sub-standard machines because of their origin nor to assume that all American made laser engravers are the best or most reliable.

Marc Myer
10-25-2010, 5:15 PM
And keep in mind there are differences between Taiwanese made machines (good quality, good design) with Chinese made ones.

Personally, I bought my Epilog because I was impressed by the quality, durability and service network. It was great to unpack the machine and be using it right away. I'd do it again.

Nick Michalares
10-25-2010, 7:47 PM
You hear all kinds of things about chinese lasers, I admit, some are better than others, even out of the same factory, so they are not real consistent, but there is support and for the price difference, it is worth a little headache. We have seen some in here at Vision and I am pretty impressed with them. Of course, the owner goes to China and visits the factories where they are made, so it is a little different perspective. Our electronics engineer says they are the kind of tubes you can make in your garage. . . . Well, maybe HE can make them in HIS garage, it ain't happenin' in MINE! there is the issue of tube life, but it is a viable machine that does laser engraving.

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-26-2010, 1:52 PM
I paid $10,000 for a chinese machine that would have costs $25,000 here. Christmas will be three years and it's still going strong!

John are you telling us you have been running your Chinese laser with the same tube for 3 years?

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-26-2010, 1:55 PM
I bought my chinese laser three years ago

Hi Pete, how long have you been running the same tube? If you had to replace it, how long did it last?

pete hagan
10-26-2010, 8:16 PM
My tube is probably due for replacement sometime soon however I have about 1600 hours on it. My use is sporadic but when it runs it is typically 10hrs a day until project is complete.

I bought an extra tube with the machine that is on the shelf. I only hope it is still gassed after three years. Frank indicated that he will have a tube for me in Dallas if I call so I'm not too worried.

Pete

John Frazee
11-08-2010, 8:35 AM
Hi Pete, how long have you been running the same tube? If you had to replace it, how long did it last?

Tom, please excuse me for not replying back. We went to the Bahamas for a week and didn't keep up with the thread upon returning.

I bought my Chinese laser from Brightstar, Christmas time will make THREE years. I use this machine almost every day and have not had any laser tube issues. I thought my tube was getting weak a while back because I had to increase the power a little cutting out nametags but it was just a different brand of material.

If my chinese laser stopped working today, I would be sick but could honestly say I have got my monies worth out of it plus some.

Speaking of chinese "Made in China" how many American brands have "Made in China" insides? It would be nice to be able to see some kind of report on the origins of all parts for all lasers, not just American, but Chinese as well.

Tom Buzz Bernard
11-08-2010, 7:54 PM
Two people who have had a glass tube for more than 3 years and still running, Hmmmm, I have heard this from other users.

I know Brightstar and Turnkey laser both sell their machines with a Freon chiller, I wonder if that is the key to longevity:confused: I bet there is different quality glass tube manufacturers. I know all RF tubes are not built the same.

I do like to hear first hand experience - Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking of chinese "Made in China" how many American brands have "Made in China" insides?
You might have a point on all laser machines, what percentage of the machine is actually a component from another foreign country:confused:

Note: At the Charlotte NBM trade show I did get to see the new Trotec photo sensor for cutting printed pictures and I thought it was awesome. I can think of many new product ideas using that feature :) sure will make work easier!

Mike Null
11-09-2010, 8:00 AM
I don't have facts to back this up but my suspicion is that ambient temperature and humidity have a lot to do with tube life. I had my first machine (ULS) for 8 years and replaced one tube; my second machine (Trotec) is going on 4 and the tube seems to be as good as new.

I keep my machines in my basement which is 65-72 degrees F and humidity at 40 to 60%.

There is also no question that a quality chiller extends the life of the Chinese tubes.

Dan Hintz
11-09-2010, 8:44 AM
I don't have facts to back this up but my suspicion is that ambient temperature and humidity have a lot to do with tube life.

I keep my machines in my basement which is 65-72 degrees F and humidity at 40 to 60%.
We need a "thumbs up" smily...

David H. Mitchell
11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
My 60 watt is over 3 years old. Tube is still great. This machine gets a lot of use, almost everyday. I did replace power supply 2 weeks ago. This was after moving the laser to different location. I don't know if that was it or power surge. Still very happy with service and quality.

Just my $0.002,

Dave