PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Holly

Baxter Smith
10-19-2010, 9:06 PM
Although I am trying to spalt some Holly that came down in storms last winter, it just doesn't compare with the spalting that occurred in some Holly that had a few burls, bumps, and did it on its own!:)

I have roughed out a variety of shapes from the tree but turned two pieces thin for something different.

This section had a large bump protruding from the tree. Thought I might make a small HF out of it (what is now the bottom) but couldn't bring myself to turn off the top (no matter what the other side looked like). Guess its a funky flower pot!:p
Funky Holly Flower Pot - 4.75h x 6.5 w x 1/8 finished with 3 coats of AO

The second other one is sort of a Leo Vanderloo take off in shape and finish.
3h x 7.5w x 1/8 with 3 coats of polymerized tung oil

Roger Chandler
10-19-2010, 9:08 PM
Definitely a unique piece of wood. I am surprised it held together for you Baxter.

Baxter Smith
10-19-2010, 9:08 PM
Sorry for all the pictures but its kind of different.

David DeCristoforo
10-19-2010, 9:14 PM
I really like the "funky flower pot" one. The "Leo style" bowl is nice too. But the pot with that big void in it is just too cool!

David E Keller
10-19-2010, 9:17 PM
Cool looking stuff, Baxter. The first piece reminds me of buckeye burl with the heavy spalting. I love the void. I hope you've got a bunch of that stuff 'cause it's really good looking.

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2010, 9:28 PM
Nice work on both turnings Baxter! Sure is some good looking wood!

Baxter Smith
10-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I really like the "funky flower pot" one. The "Leo style" bowl is nice too. But the pot with that big void in it is just too cool!
Its green wood too David!;)

Cool looking stuff, Baxter. The first piece reminds me of buckeye burl with the heavy spalting. I love the void. I hope you've got a bunch of that stuff 'cause it's really good looking.
Thanks David. I have roughed out quite a few pieces of it. Everyone has had different patterns between the grain, spalting and small burls.

John Keeton
10-20-2010, 6:44 AM
Some nice stuff, Baxter. Sure would make a neat HF!!;) Of the two, I go with the flower pot - beautiful wood.

Tim Rinehart
10-20-2010, 8:05 AM
Baxter, nice colors in that spalting, and great job keeping the one together at all! I'm with David about the impression of buckeye burl...amazing similar coloration.

Makes me want to throw a piece of holly I have under a pile of leaves and check it in the spring.:eek:

Prashun Patel
10-20-2010, 8:55 AM
Beautiful. Hope I can turn this delicately some day!

I think your flowerpot should become an 'orchid' pot. It's perfect for that since they don't require much soil and like a lot of air.

Ted Evans
10-20-2010, 9:23 AM
Gorgeous wood Baxter and I like the form of each. It must be nice having talent.

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2010, 10:30 AM
That is some great looking wood Baxter. Nice work on both.

Baxter Smith
10-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Baxter, nice colors in that spalting, and great job keeping the one together at all! I'm with David about the impression of buckeye burl...amazing similar coloration.

Makes me want to throw a piece of holly I have under a pile of leaves and check it in the spring.:eek:
Thanks Tim. Have never seen a buckeye burl in person but this is pretty neat stuff. Never know what you are going to get in each piece. This was a tree that broke about 5 ft up in a January or February storm. I hauled it out of the woods in May in 4 ft lengths. Anchorsealed the ends and just left it in my woodshed till September because of other commitments. Neglect is working a whole lot better than planning when it comes to my spalting of holly.:)

Beautiful. Hope I can turn this delicately some day!

I think your flowerpot should become an 'orchid' pot. It's perfect for that since they don't require much soil and like a lot of air.
Thanks Prashun. I will have to tell my wife it has now become an orchid pot. She wasn't real impressed before.;)

Jim Burr
10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Wow Baxter!! How did that stay together? As already mentioned, it looks a lot like Buckeye. And more pics are a great thing!

Leo Van Der Loo
10-20-2010, 12:59 PM
2 nice pieces Baxter, I especially like the flowerpot on the side with the smaller opening, it has some amazing coloration, I just love that kind of wood, and yes you are pushing the envelope, and pulled it off, well done ;-))

t

Rob Cunningham
10-20-2010, 1:10 PM
Nice work Baxter. I really like the funky flower pot.

Baxter Smith
10-20-2010, 10:35 PM
How did that stay together?
Thanks Jim, although spalted, all the wood has been very solid and easy to turn.

I especially like the flowerpot on the side with the smaller opening, it has some amazing coloration, I just love that kind of wood...
t
Thanks Leo, I was amazed as well. The shape wasn't what I had in mind when I started/not that I had any in particular with this piece. The end product was mostly the result of "oooh - I can't turn this off!":)

Nice work Baxter. I really like the funky flower pot.
Thanks Rob, not a classic, but the grain is fascinating.