PDA

View Full Version : Ash Trees dying in CT

Mike Archambeau
10-19-2010, 8:32 PM
Does anyone have experience with Ash trees dying in CT? What is kiiling them? How to ID the signs of trouble? Can anything be done to save them?

Any help is appreciated!

Paul Ryan
10-19-2010, 9:06 PM
Mike,

The emerald ash borer is a huge epidemic spreading across the country. I think is started in Mich. It is a bug that borers into the ash tree and kills it. To make matters worse they dont have any natural enemies on this continet. I think they came from Asia. I guess there are treatments for trees but it is expensive. I have a very large ash in my front yard that I will be treating when the bug gets here. Do a seach for emerald ash borer, you will find more info that you need.

Greg Just
10-20-2010, 1:23 PM
There have been ads around here that there is a chemical that can either be injected into the tree or poured on the ground that systemically kills the ash borer. Not sure if it works, but you might contact your city arborist or a local university. By the way - ash is a nice wood to turn.

Callan Campbell
10-20-2010, 1:42 PM
The most common statement from arborists is that by the time you see the insects attacking your tree, it's usually already too late in most circumstances since the larvae/young were already inside the tree doing damage and you just didn't seem them. We as a country will lose way too many Ash trees because of this pest and its march across the land.:mad: