PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite HF

Josh Bowman
10-19-2010, 7:56 PM
The HF is about 4” tall and 3” wide. Turned from Mesquite. Please critique on form.
Thanks

charlie knighton
10-19-2010, 8:17 PM
very nice, you may want to get some free software to do stuff with your photos (Gimp), you have the same problem i usually have, a need to rotate my turnings a couple degrees, form is a evolution that everyone will continue to experience

David E Keller
10-19-2010, 9:21 PM
It's pretty wood, Josh, and the finish looks great. For my tastes, the widest point of the form is too near the middle of the piece(the old 1/3 to 2/3 thing)... That's just a matter of preference though.

Don Alexander
10-19-2010, 9:26 PM
i think that you got the wide part and the grain pattern aligned just about perfectly to show off the wood to best advantage , however i tend to agree with David on the overall shape being out of balance a bit

i'm just a rookie though so don't pay too much attention to me :)

Michael James
10-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Josh, Im a mesquite junkie in training...love the grain and finish. That form is not a familiar one to me, and I would not turn it "top heavy". But that's just me.

Robert McGowen
10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
That is a nice looking piece of wood, Josh. I agree that the widest point is way too low on your vase. There also appears to be a dip at the base where the curve dips in and then comes back out. I would try to make one continuous curve from the base to the shoulder and then turn it back in towards the mouth. I look forward to seeing the next one.

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Really nice wood and the piece is a beauty.

Dennis Ford
10-19-2010, 10:33 PM
There appears to be a change in the curve near the bottom of the piece, it detracts from the overall form.

I would like to see the portion above the max diameter, curve inward a little more (decreasing radius).

The wood and finish are very good.

Baxter Smith
10-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Pretty wood and finish. One other suggestion I got not too long ago on a HF was to "tuck under the foot". I think that was the wording. I believe that meant don't go straight into the table or whatever its sitting on but round it under just a bit to get a little bit of lift.

George Morris
10-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Josh well done! Great form and finish! Wish we had wood like that ! All we have is beech,maple,cherry and walnut!