PDA

View Full Version : moving a bandsaw

E. Paul Wheeler
10-19-2010, 6:34 PM
I am looking at buying an old PM 81 20" bandsaw. The problem is how to get it home. It is currently standing up on a pallet. From what I can tell it weighs between 800 and 900 pounds. I figure I can remove the table to lower the weight a little bit and make sure I don't break the table in the move.

My understanding is there is a spot for a lifting hook on the top. Does anyone know what size thread it uses?

My thoughts on how to move it right now are.

Use an engine hoist to lower it on to it's spine and then load it into the truck. The good thing is I already have an engine hoist.

Rent a drop deck trailer and transport it on the trailer standing up. The trailier should have better and stronger tie downs than the bed of my pickups.

Rent a forklift and load it into the bed of a pickup truck and move it standing up. I have lifting equipment in my shop to unload it but if I use the 1 ton it would be to tall to fit and I don't think the 1/4 ton is up to moving it standing up. So I would have to rent a forklift again to unload it.

Any other ideas? If I can find a rigging company I will call and see what they charge.

Dave MacArthur
10-19-2010, 7:45 PM
Welcome to the Creek!

There was a thread on moving a 20" bandsaw with tons of replies, details, pics, etc., just last week. Try searching for MM20, 20" band saw, moving a bandsaw , etc., I think everything you're asking was just typed into that thread ;) I know I posted some drawings and a page long explanation in there, others did too.

Found it for you, here you go. Whole thread is good, but my drawing is really the sweet spot ;)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1512836&highlight=moving+pickup#post1512836

Walter Plummer
10-19-2010, 8:39 PM
If you don`t mind renting equipment check on a truck with a flat lift gate and a pallet jack. You will still need a couple of friends to steady the saw on the lift up and down .

John Coloccia
10-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Exactly. They can be rented cheaply for a couple of hours and will make the whole job 15 times more pleasant than anything else.

David Gillingham
10-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I've used a flat deck wrecker on a couple of occasions. The machines were on pallets, lifted them up with a pallet jack and had the operator winch the whole shooting match onto the deck. With the bandsaw (PM 87) took a couple of people to help steady it until it was strapped down. Unloading was a dream - rolled right into my shop

Pete Bradley
10-19-2010, 11:43 PM
I've moved the Delta flavor which is a little smaller and about 700 lbs. I recommend you remove the table. You can also remove the motor which reduces weight but makes the machine more topheavy. It should then be possible for 2-3 guys to tip it into the back of a van or pickup. Put a big piece of cardboard hanging over the gate, tip the saw so it hits the cardboard at about a 45 degree angle halfway up the back of the machine. Then lift up the bottom of the machine (still heavy, but some weight is on the bed now) and slide it into the bed. I can't recall if this machine has a spine that sticks out beyond the back of the cabinet, if so bring some big chunks of wood to block it up.

Getting it out is the reverse. Be careful. Did I mention it's topheavy? :D

Pete