PDA

View Full Version : Mimosa?

Mike Turner
10-19-2010, 5:05 PM
On the way home today I found a freshly cut tree of what Im pretty sure is mimosa. I dont have a chainsaw. But what can I do to tree the ends right now or what do I nee to do ? Is it a decent turning wood. The pieces were in 3 to 4 ft pieces. The largest part of the trunk is around 6 or 7 inches and has a crotch or fork in it...

I dont have any wax but I have tung oil, and some other finishes. Would this be ok to seal them>?

Tim Rinehart
10-19-2010, 5:14 PM
Mike,

If you have some old latex paint, that works ok...but not sure if being wet makes it less effective. Most folks use a product called Anchor Seal, or other commercial "end grain sealers".
That being said, until you start cutting the log into sections, not a big deal...you'll just have a little checking on the ends to discard. Keep in an area from direct sunlight, or cover it to help prevent drying out too fast.

I just got a haul of mimosa this past weekend, and am curious to see how it goes. That tree was closer to 2 feet or more in diameter though.

Be sure to wear some respiratory protection if you have any reactions to wood, and even if you don't, as mimosa is high on the list of woods that people have reactions to, mainly nasal and respiratory.

The alternating brown and white grain seems to be a strong trademark...and the ends where wet and cut, at least on mine, darkened up very quickly to a deep brown.

Bill Bulloch
10-19-2010, 6:06 PM
Around here the Minosa tree is condisered a nuisance and are weeded out as soon as they pop up, so you will be hard pressed to find one with a large enough diameter to turn.

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2010, 7:28 PM
It is a good turning wood and can have lots of character in the heart wood. Seal it with latex paint. At least 2 coats if you don't have any anchorseal.

Peter Hay in Aus
10-19-2010, 7:32 PM
Old Bushies recommended to me a long time ago to stand cut timber vertically to avoid some of the characteristic drying problems especially with limb timber. Placed on a dry surface it works for me. Having said that I do now paint bthe ends with Mobil Cer m and I do know thatAnchorseal and Latex paint or indeed all paints can help. My problem in this country was the end sealer only came in 20 litre drums at a high price.
Have success Peter.