PDA

View Full Version : I just got asked to outfit a Show Truck! *Job Gloat*

Ned Bulken
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
I've been asked to do a custom interior on a Class D straight truck, similar to the one shown here.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/uploads/m2106-96.jpg

The client wants a wood panelled interior, going for the 'understated elegance' theme, or 'boardroom chic' instead of the 'bling bling' look most show trucks attempt. There will be plenty of goodies, from a high end entertainment system, to a flat panel computer and tv display, to leather coutch in the rear. This will be a rolling business card and recruiting tool for a trucking company.
I have a long lead time, as the truck isn't built yet, but I can't wait to get all the details lined up and the sawdust flying. Best thing is I might get to drive it every once in awhile!

Tyler Howell
12-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a fun project Ned. Enjoy

Steve Stube
12-23-2004, 3:30 PM
This will be a rolling business card for your work as well, so get it in the contract that you display proper credits somewhere for people to identify your work with your name/business.

That way it might all qualify as an advertising expense too!

Byron Trantham
12-23-2004, 4:02 PM
Sounds like one hell of a challenge... Good luck.

Fred Voorhees
12-23-2004, 7:26 PM
Now, I am REALLY dissapointed that Tyler didn't inform you that according to SMC rules and regs - that the taking and displaying of photos of the process is madatory.

Jamie Buxton
12-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Ned ---

So is cabinetmaking for a truck very different from cabinetmaking for a kitchen? I ask because I've read that cabinetmaking for boats is way different from kitchens. And a truck seems more like a boat to me than like a kitchen!

Ned Bulken
12-25-2004, 3:09 PM
Yep, will be taking loads of photos when we get down to the sawdust flying. Right now it is in discussion mode still, the truck in question hasn't been ordered yet. There will definitely be a 'Woodworking by Madison Woodsmith' plaque inside, as well as brochures/cards handed out when it is being 'shown'. My client understands that this is a huge opportunity for me, and in fact that is one reason he contacted me about this. He wants a fresh approach vs what the 'other guys' seem to foist upon him.

John and I will be designing and building the cabinets, panelling and desk for the truck. It is even going to have a murphy bed instead of a conventional sleeper. When they're at shows, the idea is that those who visit will be visiting the corporation, not just a sleeper. Day to day it will be 'down' for normal operation, but when showtime comes it will button up for display purposes.

He has another truck similar to this one which has a conversion already, but he would like it refitted
http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/uploads/geo_sprinter.jpg
That one has better potential to my eye, as this style of van is becoming very popular in the expediting field, and what he is suggesting is quite easy to build.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-26-2004, 9:32 AM
That's gonna be a cool job...be sure to post progress reports!!