PDA

View Full Version : ULS M-300 Lens Issue (posible)

Terry Swift
10-19-2010, 2:27 PM
My 35-watt laser seems to be requiring more power and less speed ot vector cut materials. For 1/8" acrylic - I'm down to using 100%P / 2%S and still have run a double pass to cleanly cut it using 500 PPI / 500 DPI.

I have cleaned all the lenses I could find - seems to be only 3. ON coming from the laser tube into the engraving area, one on x axis bar that 90 degrees from the laser tube lens, then the 2.0 y axis lens onto the table.

The 2.0 lens looks a bit blurry even after cleaning; so I'm suspecting it needs replacement (not sure if it ever has, as bought used from a Creeker). The tube supposedly had only a couple hundred hours on it - so not exactly sure how to get the laser to fire at suggested speeds & power for a 35 watt machine.

Will give ULS Tech Support a call; as they have been very helpful - along with all of you as well.:(:(:(

Robert Walters
10-19-2010, 4:16 PM
Please let us know the results of your findings, I too have a M-300 30W.

I've been told that ULS will let you borrow a power meter for the cost of shipping just in case that is something of a concern for you.

Terry Swift
10-19-2010, 5:10 PM
Robert,

Do you have the same issues? It's insane the amount of time it takes to engrave or vector something due to having to slow things to a snails pace. Even cutting 1/8" baltic birch takes 100% power / 5% speed and sometimes that doesn't even cut all the way thru.

I focus on every piece of material with the focus piece I have, so focus shouldn't be an issue there.

Hope UL can help out.

Gary Hair
10-19-2010, 5:14 PM
Terry,
Is the lens scratched or does it just seem dirty? If it's dirty, what are you cleaning it with? I have always used the Kodak lens cleaner that came with my laser, but recently started using reagent grade acetone - what a difference! The lens looks cleaner than it ever has, same thing with the mirrors. The only drawback is that the acetone evaporates very fast, almost too fast. If I had more of the kodak stuff I'd clean first with it and then use the acetone to remove the kodak - it's that good!

Gary

Richard Rumancik
10-19-2010, 5:49 PM
. . . I have cleaned all the lenses I could find - seems to be only 3. ON coming from the laser tube into the engraving area, one on x axis bar that 90 degrees from the laser tube lens, then the 2.0 y axis lens onto the table. . .

I think you probably have have 3 mirrors and 1 beam window and 1 lens on that machine, but I don't have a ULS so check the manual. If you don't have the manual you can probably download one quickly.

The optic that you say comes from the laser into the engraving area - it probably looks like a lens but if it is just passing the beam through with no re-direction it is likely the beam window. A beam window is just a pass-thru optic usually used to maintain positive pressure or to keep splatter off an optic. Not all lasers have this, but if it does, it need to be clean. Maybe you should open the back and see if there is one more mirror.

The manual will probably tell you how to clean the optics as well. The coatings on mirrors are pretty delicate so you have to be cautious and not apply pressure when cleaning.

Also you should do a beam alignment before assuming it is the tube.

Terry Swift
10-20-2010, 6:45 AM
Gary,

I bought my laser lends cleaner from LaserBits. I use the cotton swab method as directed by my local ULS people here in Arlington hen they helped me set up the machine.

The acetone thing sounds interesting, as that would definitely remove any pitch, etc. from it. I have some and will give it a try.

I spoke with ULS and they gave me some info I'll try before I carry my focal lens over to Engravers Network for them to look see. Robert & Josh are usually very helpful.

From everything I can see - on my model - there are only 3 lenses and I've cleaned them all.

Manual - who reads a stinking manual!!!! LOL :D:D:D:D:D
I do have one of those an refer to it on occasion; but mainly use product specs by the manufacturer; as ULS only gives for general materials - say like Acrylic. It only says Acrylic and not if it's like Romark, IPI, etc. Good baseline like many of us use - then it's more trial and testing to see actual settings per machine.

Robert Walters
10-20-2010, 7:52 AM
The acetone thing sounds interesting, as that would definitely remove any pitch, etc. from it. I have some and will give it a try.

Terry,

Gary didn't say "Acetone", he said "Reagent Grade Acetone".
Just thought I'd point that out in case it was an oversight.

BTW...
No need to make every post BOLD. If you have difficulty seeing the text, in the editor in the top-right corner are controls that should allow you to increase the text size (it's the two up/down pointing arrows).

If that doesn't work, you can hit CTRL+NUMPAD_PLUS to increase, and CTRL+NUMPAD_MINUS to decrease font size in your browser. That is, hold down the [CTRL] button and press the [+] or [-] button on the NUMBER PAD on the right side of the keyboard.

Richard Rumancik
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM
. . . From everything I can see - on my model - there are only 3 lenses and I've cleaned them all.

Manual - who reads a stinking manual!!!! LOL

There is only one lens. You might have access only to 2 of the three mirrors - I'm not sure. Perhaps the remaining mirror is hidden inside the laser cartridge. Do they consider that mirror to be user serviceable? Maybe they think it should never be cleaned or adjusted.

The manual won't tell you everything but it is a whole lot better than guessing.

Zvi Grinberg
10-20-2010, 5:32 PM
There is only one lens. You might have access only to 2 of the three mirrors - I'm not sure. Perhaps the remaining mirror is hidden inside the laser cartridge. Do they consider that mirror to be user serviceable? Maybe they think it should never be cleaned or adjusted.

The manual won't tell you everything but it is a whole lot better than guessing.

In ULS lasers these are the optics components that are user accesible:

Position 1. Beam Window at the left side of the machine - on the back wall. This is where the laser beam comes out from the cartridge.

Position 2. Mirror. It seats on the moving arm that moves on the Y axis. This mirror at 45 degrees directs the beam toward the right, parallel to the moving arm.

Position 3. Mirror and lens. These parts reside IN the lens carriage that moves on X axis. They are mounted on the detachable plate. The 45 degrees mirror directs the beam down to the lens. The lens focuses the beam to a small spot where it meets the processed surface.

Hope it clears up the picture.

Terry Swift
10-22-2010, 5:59 PM
Robert,

Just a bad habit, as I hate thin text. I'd prefer bolding over making the text larger myself; but that's just me.

Appreciate all the insights as I learn my way thru this very interesting hobby (for some) & business.

Zvi is right for the ULS.

Sorry I missed the reagent grade acetone part. May have saved me $230+. The contaminant-free purity of ACS Reagent Grade Acetone is desired as a special-purpose solvent, particularly in cleaning laser optics and other delicate lenses and mirrors.