PDA

View Full Version : It was not a burl, afterall....

Roger Chandler
10-19-2010, 1:48 PM
Last week I cut wood with a friend. After I brought a load home, he still cut more while I was not in the area. He mentioned on the phone about this "growth" he called it on a bottom of a tree they cut, and put aside because it had some rotten wood in the middle. He thought it might be one of those "burl things" :D I had mentioned before in a conversation.

Well, today I got to go see it, and it was not a burl, after all, but he is a great friend, and goes out of his way to see that I have wood if I need some, for which I am very grateful!

I did manage 3 blanks from this stump, and it still has some rot in it, but also nice grain, and I hope to use these for a couple of platters when they dry some.....not sure if it is Pin Oak or chestnut oak.

Well, I tried to upload the pics, but they were too large :eek: for the upload. I do not see any way I can reduce the size. Any hints would be readily accepted..........thanks in advance!

Tim Rinehart
10-19-2010, 2:29 PM
I get that alot, often finding just a place where tree healed itself from a lost or removed branch.

You may want to just try opening the picture with Microsoft Paint and using the Image pulldown to Stretch the image down to 25% of existing width and height. After saving, see if the file size isn't smaller. That's what I do, but there's many other ways too.

Jim Burr
10-19-2010, 3:03 PM
I have a little program called Picresizer from another forum that is the best pic poster program in the world...IMHO

http://bluefive.pair.com/downloads.htm

Find what's right for you!...don't post without it!!:rolleyes:

Thom Sturgill
10-19-2010, 3:03 PM
A program called IrfanView is one of the best image viewers and allows rotation, resizing, and saving to other formats. Best of all - its free. No relation to the writer, just a satisfied user.

David DeCristoforo
10-19-2010, 3:16 PM
Ahh. S'not burl. I've seen a lot of that. Never turned any though...

John Keeton
10-19-2010, 3:37 PM
Faststone (http://www.faststone.org/) is one that Steve Schlumpf put me on to - free as well. I use it for bordering, and Photoshop Elements for most other stuff only because I am used to it. Faststone will do it all.

David D. - who is the mediative looking character in your avatar???? Looks like some guy pondering over his next dyed work of art!

David DeCristoforo
10-19-2010, 3:41 PM
"...who is the mediative looking character..."

Pondering is right! Only pic I had in which I did not look like a complete moron! ElGuapo bites the dust!

Tim Rinehart
10-19-2010, 4:05 PM
:D:D:D:D that's just plain funny!!!

edit...
I can already see that SOMEONE out there is going to post a classified for "S'not burl"....hmmm, who would that be???

Roger Chandler
10-19-2010, 4:10 PM
pics of what my friend called a burl thing :D NOT! Anyway, 3 blanks hopefully turned into 2 platters and ???? when they dry........

If any of you guys have a better idea than a couple of platters for those blanks, then............I'm all ears!

Roger Chandler
10-19-2010, 4:12 PM

David,

I have seen some of those as well! Always found it hard to mount them on a lathe! :D;)

Roger Chandler
10-19-2010, 4:15 PM
I get that alot, often finding just a place where tree healed itself from a lost or removed branch.

You may want to just try opening the picture with Microsoft Paint and using the Image pulldown to Stretch the image down to 25% of existing width and height. After saving, see if the file size isn't smaller. That's what I do, but there's many other ways too.

Tim,

That is what I did after I tried to download Faststone with John's suggestion, then I could not find the program or what became of it. Now I have to do a search to see what happened!:eek::confused: Thanks for the tip.........it worked!

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2010, 4:51 PM
Roger - at least you got some wood! Looks like you could get a few hollow forms out of some of that and being as light a color as the wood is - would be a great candidate for dye!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Roger Chandler
10-19-2010, 5:00 PM
Roger - at least you got some wood! Looks like you could get a few hollow forms out of some of that and being as light a color as the wood is - would be a great candidate for dye!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Dye Steve?

I am going to have to graduate out of woodturning kindergarden first! :D;)

Seriously, I have never even tried dying any thing, however, after seeing some of the things on this forum, it is certainly something I will consider. I have not even yet purchased any DNA or BLO.

I did not have any finish for turnings other than DO until you put me onto wipe-on-poly, because in all my years of flatwork, I always just used stain and polyurethane for finishing my projects.

In finishing, I have a lot to learn yet!

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2010, 7:31 PM
Roger congrats on the wood. Nice haul. I can see some hollow forms, bowls, etc.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2010, 7:43 PM
There's a lot of potential turning blanks there! Congrats!

Roger Chandler
10-19-2010, 11:29 PM
There's a lot of potential turning blanks there! Congrats!

Thanks Ken.........:)