PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Kitchen Hutch by my Friend Russ

Jim Becker
12-23-2004, 11:18 AM
The pictures below are of a kitchen hutch nearing completion by my good friend, Russ George. Russ retired from my company back in the spring after 37+ years of service, but has had a custom cabinetry business for about the last 12 of them. He's a consumate woodworker and very anal about "getting it right". I'm always blown away by his work!

He's in process of re-doing their own kitchen and this piece is part of that effort. It's made of cherry and cherry veneer MDF core and will have a granite work surface between the base unit and the upper cabinet. The finish top coat is some kind of pre-cat lacquer product. Enjoy!

Michael Stafford
12-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Absolutely gorgeous, spectacular! Must be one nice kitchen!

Mark Singer
12-23-2004, 12:01 PM
That is quite a piece! Love the proportions ! A truly great example of quality design a nd crafstmanship....Jim thanks and let George know how we all enjoyed it!

Karl Laustrup
12-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Beautiful piece of furniture, Jim. Kudos to Russ. I hope he is signing his work so that in the future our grand, or perhaps great, grandchildren can show up on a show such as Antiques Roadshow and have someone gush on and on about the quality and workmanship of a master craftsman.

Karl

Jerry Baldwin
12-23-2004, 1:19 PM
WOW! Sorry, my vocabulary went out the window when I looked at that piece. I know I'll never be able to create something like that but it sures gives me something to work towards.

Dave Brandt
12-23-2004, 1:44 PM
That's going in his kitchen!?!?! Spectacular! I'm not worthy of even hanging around this forum. :(

Jim Becker
12-23-2004, 1:47 PM
Anybody notice those "square drive drawer pulls"??? :D

Jim Dunn
12-23-2004, 2:30 PM
Jim,

If you know what is the purpose of the unfinished corners on the top? Looks like upper cabinet can slide on the bottom cabinet?

By the way that is one beautiful piece of furniture. (Going to be forced to get out the thesaurus as my vocabulary is getting short on words also. :) )

Jim Becker
12-23-2004, 2:46 PM
If you know what is the purpose of the unfinished corners on the top? Looks like upper cabinet can slide on the bottom cabinet?My understanding is that there will be a granite top on the base cabinet that covers the open area as well as the part that looks finished that covers the drawer box. It's just coincidence of the sprayed finish process that a part that will never be seen looks "nice"...:p

Karl Laustrup
12-23-2004, 8:48 PM
I had to look at the pictures several times before I noticed the "square drive drawer pulls".:eek: Guess I just couldn't get my eyes from glazing over every time I see that beautiful wood.

At least the square drive pulls appear to be brass.;) :confused: :D

Karl

John Miliunas
12-23-2004, 10:03 PM
High end furniture at its best! Please, forward on our comments to your friend. As Jerry indicated, not likely something I'd be able to pull off, but certainly a goal worth shooting for!:) :cool:

Bruce Page
12-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Beautiful cabinet work! Did he also do the carving?

It would be nice if Russ could join us at the Creek.

Joe Mioux
12-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Jim:

That is a handsome piece. Ditto what Mark said about letting him know that SMC'rs really enjoyed his project.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2004, 8:32 AM
Another raised bar to shoot for! I with others....did he do the carving?
Excelletn piece of furniture!

Jim Becker
01-11-2005, 5:43 PM
Russ just sent me this picture of the hutch in situ with the granite top installed. It's a winner in my book!! (I can't wait to see the rest of the kitchen when he gets it done)

Jim Dunn
01-11-2005, 6:01 PM
That sure answered my previous question about the slot in the top. That marble really sets the unit off as a completed piece of "furniture".

Ted Shrader
01-11-2005, 8:56 PM
Jim --

Tell your friend Russ that is an outstanding piece of furniture.

Ted

Keith Christopher
01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Wonderful piece ! A pleasure to look at and functional ! Thanks for sharing Jim and let him know the admiration we all share on his work. Oh don't forget to get him to come swim in the creek !

Mark Riegsecker
01-12-2005, 9:57 PM
That's a beautiful piece. I've been looking for a cherry stain that's not so red. This color looks great. What is that color?

Jim Becker
01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
That's a beautiful piece. I've been looking for a cherry stain that's not so red. This color looks great. What is that color?
It's real cherry, but I don't know what his finishing regimen is--different than mine as I'd NEVER put a stain on cherry. I do know it's lacquer as a top coat. I'll ask next time I see him.

Mark Riegsecker
01-12-2005, 10:10 PM
:o I've got to be careful in here! I could really embarrass myself. I promise I won't stain cherry.... again. I'm not going to say more I'll just gleen from you guys till I grow up.

Jim Becker
01-12-2005, 10:31 PM
:o I've got to be careful in here! I could really embarrass myself. I promise I won't stain cherry.... again. I'm not going to say more I'll just gleen from you guys till I grow up.Mark...tongue in cheek! Don't take my comment as abuse as it was not intended that way. Sorry if it appeared as such. Really!

There is a certain contingent, I'll call "naturalists" of which I happen to be a member, that find staining or dying cherry "sinful". Others feel differently. You should absolutely do what ever is appropriate to get the color you prefer. The good news is that cherry finished with an application of BLO followed by a coat of garnet shellac and then your top coat of choice will darken to approximately what Russ ended up with over a period of time. It's a natural process caused by UV and oxidation. You can also chemically darken cherry and other species quickly--Jeff Jewitt documents that process in his writings. I do believe that Russ used some coloration to get his cherry darker "now" as I've seen some of his commission pieces "in progress" get that treatment. It may be a gel stain, but I don't know for sure without speaking with him.

The biggest challenge is that so much of the commercial furniture that is labeled "cherry" is highly processed by a multi-step factory finishing process and often isn't even cherry under all that finish. (Alder, Maple, Poplar are often subtituted) Many folks expect that all "cherry" should look like that; very dark, etc.

At any rate, again...I'm sorry if my statement caused you angst. BTW, welcome to the 'Creek! A nice place to hang out, despite people like me who occasionally speak out of order...:rolleyes: