PDA

View Full Version : Shelix on Ridgid jointer?

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-19-2010, 9:30 AM
Has anyone put a Shelix (or some sort of spiral cutterhead) on a Ridgid JP0610 jointer?

Paul Johnstone
10-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Has anyone put a Shelix (or some sort of spiral cutterhead) on a Ridgid JP0610 jointer?

I think the shelix head costs more than the jointer itself. Not really sure I think it is a good idea. Just my opinion, but I think they are not necessary on a jointer. The faced joined surface is going to get planed afterwards anyhow. As a hobbyist, blades last a long time on a jointer.

Philip Rodriquez
10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
+1 for Paul. Buy a new jointer.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-19-2010, 11:29 AM
The faced joined surface is going to get planed afterwards anyhow. As a hobbyist, blades last a long time on a jointer.

Ah, that's a good point. I definitely plan on a shelix in my planer, so no need to go 2x.

I'm actually looking at buying the Ridgid, since it's on clearance at a local HD. I'm in the midst of the 6" versus 8" debate, but I don't know that I can fit an 8" unit into my small workshop.

John Gregory
10-19-2010, 11:29 AM
They do have one for a JP610 for $349. I have the JP610 but I think that I would spend the money for a 8" jointer first. Just my thoughts.

glenn bradley
10-19-2010, 4:00 PM
I'm in the midst of the 6" versus 8" debate, but I don't know that I can fit an 8" unit into my small workshop.

Notice all the lightly used 6" jointers for sale out there? Despite all the warnings I received here, I too bought a 6" only to lose money selling it to get an 8". It really depends on the type of work you do of course, but the 6" was pretty useless to me. Just to be fair, other folks have used a 6" for years and have no issue. Its not a right or wrong thing, It just depends what you do and how you do it.

David Hostetler
10-19-2010, 4:04 PM
Funny, I have heard of someone retrofitting a helical cutter head to a Central Machinery 6" jointer... If they can be retrofitted, I would think the Ridgid can... But then again, you never know...

FWIW, I am running a 6" bench top jointer. Anything above what that can do and I go to alternate jointing methods. Mostly a #5 and #7 hand plane, and a planer sled.

Neil Brooks
10-19-2010, 5:03 PM
The Ridgid CAN be retrofitted:

http://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-head-for-ridgid-jp0610-6-jointer.html

But the whole concept of whether $350 should be spent to put a Byrd in a $350 jointer is really valid.

I HAVE the JP0610, and like it a lot. But ... before I put another $350 into it, I'd likely sell IT for $250 (or ....?) and then move up to a shelix-head 8" Grizzly, or something similar.

Yeah: I'd definitely have use for the extra width. And just as soon as I believe that 8" will BE my sweet spot ... you just KNOW I'll be working with wider boards.

This fall under the same wisdom as everything else, woodworking: buy as much tool as you can afford, and buy it the first time.

Each time I ignore those sage words, I have minor regrets, when I work with the machine.

Dave Lehnert
10-19-2010, 6:24 PM
Bigger is always better but have to draw the line someplace.

I use a 6". My reasoning was my planer is 12" so two boards faced through the jointer and glued will fit through the planer. Two 8" boards would not.

If I were buying another jointer, I would get a 12". Why stop at 8"? Again, You have to draw the line someplace.

Philip Rodriquez
10-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I always suggest looking at the wood you have access to and size your jointer to meet those needs. I stared with a 6" Jet and I now have a 10" SC Griz.

In the end, I could have saved $1,000 and gone with an 8" machine... but I do not regret it! Unfortunately, they now offer a 12" SC for the same price as my 10" :(...

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
All good advice above - thanks! I did end up getting the JP0610. It was at a price I felt good about, I should be able to fit it into my shop a little more easily than a larger one; and I'm confident it fits most of my needs (I have a planer sled for > 6" materials, but I'd like to make using that the exception and not the rule, which is why I'm getting a jointer at all). I most likely will not put a shelix in it - as was posted above, that's probably a better investment on my planer.

Jim Riseborough
12-14-2012, 11:06 AM
they have them at grizzly for $250 right now. I had a set of the spiral knifes from sunhillmachinery, who I hear are out of business, one of my blades broke, and I am not sure about 1000-1500 for a 8" jointer right now, although I might be about to get a Jet 8" for 700-800, but who knows if thats for sure. The Shelix head I have in my planer is awesome, so I dont mind one in my jointer. Most of my wood I have to rip down to about 6 or less, the wood I have is cupped, so for $250 I am going to pull the trugger.

Peter Froh
12-15-2012, 12:02 AM
I bought a Byrd head from Holbren.com. He matched grizzly's price of $250. It took less than an hour to switch it out. I'm very pleased with it and its performance. Make sure to buy it with the bearings installed. I think it cost me an extra $15 but was so worth it.