PDA

View Full Version : Mobile saw cart design help needed

mark kosse
10-19-2010, 9:12 AM
I have a Rockwell 34-600 TS that I really like, but for a 9" saw it weights a bunch. I'd like to build a mobile table to go under it, maybe utilizing some pneumatic wheels along the way to make it more mobile for the trip from the garage to the house. Picture something kind of like a wheel barrow, or a hotdog cart (although I’ve only seen those in movies), only for a saw. It will have some drawers and possibly a door on it. My original idea was just a saw cabinet with a mobile base wheels but I’d like to be able to move it across grass and maybe into a trailer to take places.

I was thinking of making a frame of 2X4’s and attaching plywood to it in a dado slot with the 2X4 extending out on one end at the top for 2 handles. My problem is I’m having a real hard time visualizing how it would all go together. It may be I need to use tenons or I may just need to build a cabinet based on the saw and wheel height and add runners for the handle. That’s where I’m stumped. I usually can just see my projects in my mind but I’m drawing a blank on this one.

Anyone ever built anything like this? I know this is kinda vague. I’m not much of a typist. Thanks for any help.
Mark

Mike Cruz
10-20-2010, 7:48 AM
Sorry, Mark. I can't really give you any ideas on how to build it. The only advice I can give you on this one is to visit borgs and hardware stores and go through all the aisles. Just keep looking at all the stuff...even if it has nothing to do with cabinets and tablesaws. Then, just go to sleep each night trying to visualize how to make this thing. I would bet that you'll eventually figure it out. That is how I design a lot of things. Makes you fall asleep with a smile on your face. My wife has pointed it out to me on several occcasions. She's quite jealous. :D

mark kosse
10-20-2010, 8:32 AM
Thanks Mike. If I was to build it as a simple stand up cabinet 20Wx20Lx 23H, and just mount a rail and some dolly wheels it would be easy. I may end up doing just that. I want to build it long enough to extend past the fence rails to help protect them. Adding length plus mobility present problems in my mind.