PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Chest Finished!

Bob Winkler
12-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Wow, I finally finished a Christmas present on time ;). This, as many of you know, is Norm's Jewelry Chest plan. I made it from cherry left over from prior projects. Finish is garnet shellac with paste wax top coat.

I made some stupid mistakes, (like gluing the mitered base trim without making the decortaive cutout first):eek: , but it ended up ok. The hidden drawer was a little tricky getting the operation smooth. Sandpaper and paste wax were the key.

I'm sure my daughter will be happy. After all, it was built and will be given with much love.

Bob

Pete Lamberty
12-23-2004, 11:23 AM
It looks great Bob. I am sure your daughter will love it and always think of you when she uses it. Beautiful job.

Michael Stafford
12-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Bob, I am unable to see any stupid mistakes just a very nice, love filled and thoughtful gift. I think it looks great. I see you did not use the flimsy stop piano hinge that the plan called for, Brusso stop hinges? Sign and date somewhere and put a piece of jewelry in it and wrap it up...

Jerry Baldwin
12-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Great work Bob! I'm certain your daughter will treasure it.

"left over cherry"?? Why don't I ever find that in my shop? :rolleyes:

Jim Dunn
12-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Bob,
That's one pretty chest. Looks like it could be the finished product on Norm's show. Now where did I leave all that "extra" cherry?

Jim

Jim Becker
12-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Very nice job, Bob. I also enjoyed making this one a few years ago for Dr. SWMBO...and did the dividers similar to yours because they just made sense. It's a great project. I'm sure that your daughter will cherish it "forever"!!

Jason Tuinstra
12-23-2004, 1:28 PM
Bob, it looks great. If memory serves me correctly, didn't Norm ruin his with some dark, nasty stain? Your's looks much better. The natural cherry looks just perfect!

I'm normally a dovetail guy, but I really like the way you did those drawers with dowels - at least that's what I think you did. Anyway, a real nice look.

I'm sure your daughter is going to love this. Nice job.

Bob Winkler
12-23-2004, 1:53 PM
Bob, it looks great. If memory serves me correctly, didn't Norm ruin his with some dark, nasty stain? Your's looks much better. The natural cherry looks just perfect!

I'm normally a dovetail guy, but I really like the way you did those drawers with dowels - at least that's what I think you did. Anyway, a real nice look.

I'm sure your daughter is going to love this. Nice job.
I agree Jason- I didn't care for the dark stain Norm used, and I never stain cherry. It will turn much darker as time goes by.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I would love to have dovetailed the drawers, but was running out of time and courage to learn a new skill. For me, dovetails are my phobia- I'll do anything to avoid them 'cause they scare the heck out of me. I chickened out by using rabbets pinned by dowels.

The hardware choice was tough. I stayed with the Brusso line because of the quality, although I really wanted to use satin nickel finish hardware that I just could not find in this scale.

Warren White
12-23-2004, 1:59 PM
Bob, that is a very beautiful piece, and I love the finish. What a spectacular gift that will be cherished for a long, long time. Your daughter is one lucky girl. You will have a great time Christmas day when she is presented with the gift.

Best wishes,
Warren White

scott spencer
12-23-2004, 3:58 PM
It looks great Bob! Glad to hear I'm not alone with mistakes....I wouldn't have even responded if you said it went perfectly!

Jim Young
12-23-2004, 4:45 PM
That's pretty nice. Very big, glad my wife doesn't need anything that size.

George Summers
12-23-2004, 5:37 PM
Beautiful! Jewelry boxes must have been THE project this year.

George

Ted Shrader
12-23-2004, 6:18 PM
Bob -

Excellent job on the jewelry case. Your daughter will be extremely pleased!!

Regards,
Ted