PDA

View Full Version : Circular saw sounds weird

Cesar Vega
10-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Hi,

I've just had a thread about circular saw, and here I come again, sorry.

Well, I bought it like a week ago, and I've just made my first cuts today.
(Black and Decker CS1020)

I know it was going to be noisy, but not that much. But besides the amount of noise, it sounds... well, strange.... and before making an embarrassing visit to homedepot, I wanted to ask this here first.

First, I thought that without load, it was going to sounds like a router, a motor running high revolutions, well, not as much as a router, and basically the sounds of air being cut, but it's not.

When I pull the trigger, it sounds like rasping. Like starting with difficulty.
Then the sounds stabilize, and even during a cut it doesn't sounds a lot louder, or well, I just used some very soft wood for test.

Then, when it is slowing down (after the cut, unloaded), it is when the rarest sounds are produced.
Again it sounds like scraping, you'd bet the disk is making contact with the blade guard, but I reviewed that, and it's not.
Then, as it slows down more, now it is like the like in the last spinnings it has difficult to make a cycle, yes, unloaded.

If I wanted to describe, the sounds it makes are like:
- Like if the blade is unbalanced and is brushing a side (but it's not)
- Like it is a very old engine that run out of grease. (But this is new)
- Like if a ball bearings wheel lost one ball or is defective. (I can't tell)

Also note, that with and without the blade it makes these sounds, however, with the blade on, all the sounds increase, specially the one related to an unbalanced blade.

Well, while I was writing this, I was also watching some youtube videos, and luckly I found a guy whose circular saw, sounds pretty much like mine, thought, it looks like a totally different brand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNEoptgUi00
(at 4:30)

But that's the only place where I've heard a circular saw sounds like mine does... so I'm clueless... ;(

Josiah Bartlett
10-19-2010, 12:50 AM
You've pretty much described what my 15 year old US made skil saw sounds like. There are gears in there that have a fair amount of lash. I wouldn't worry about it. Mines been sounding like that since new.

Neil Brooks
10-19-2010, 1:30 AM
My first thought ... without even having watched the YouTube vid ... is that my perfectly fine, and quite capable, Milwaukee circ saw ... sounds weird, too.

It almost sounds like it's cutting something, even when the blade is just spinning in free space.

Never gave it a second thought.

My guess is you're fine.

Marty Paulus
10-19-2010, 8:23 AM
Cesar, Keep in mind that a circular saw will not sound like a router. The router spins somewhere between 11,000 and 30,000 RPM. Your circular saw is only spinning at 5000RPM. The sound will be different. In thinking about it my two saws do sound strange like you describe. Keep in mind you have a B&D saw. This is not the top of the line in circular saws.but it will cut just fine. Do you self a favor and get a couple of blades for it as well. That will help...

Tom Esh
10-19-2010, 9:57 AM
Sounds normal for a circ saw - universal motor, open gear train, ringing blade. Basically all annoying unless you're deaf. Speaking of which, be sure to use hearing protection. It's more than just saving your hearing. Those noises increase stress and tend to make us want to rush the job - and that's when mistakes happen.

Cesar Vega
10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Thank you all for your response.

Well, yes, you save me from an embarrassing moment at the home depot! :)

Yes, I wear ear protection, actually, I wasn't aware about all those sounds until I removed the plugs!

Now, I get it, then it's the gears, right?
A table saw is rotated by a rubber band, that's why it doesn't make this sound... I guess.

Russ Buddle
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Some of the noise on slowing down could be a blade brake also.