PDA

View Full Version : Wood Show a Disaster.

fRED mCnEILL
10-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Went to the local Wood Show (Vancouver B.C.)this weekend and I was SEVERELY disappointed. I look forward to the Wood Show and some years have gone all 3 days. But not anymore. A couple of years ago the local show had relocated to a nice, newer venue but this year moved back. When my wife asked me why they moved back I faceciously said" it was the only venue SMALL enough".
There were FAR fewer booths than last year and it was actually smaller than the show a local tool place held the week before. Another big difference was that the local tool place didn't charge you an admission fee. But they had the regular supplier booths (Delta, Dewalt, etc).

I also noticed that the Seattle show (we also went there a few years ago) was canceled this year. Perhaps they had trouble finding a venue that was small enough too.

There will have to be an awfully good reason for me to go next year including an assurance that there will be more vendors. When I read the internet ad for this show (the promoter runs a number of shows in Canada)it listed a lot of vendors-many of which weren't in attendance. So after the show I re-read the ad and noticed the fine print which said "not all vendors will be at all shows" Ya got that right.

I hate being scammed.

Fred Mc.

glenn bradley
10-18-2010, 11:45 PM
It can become a self-filling prophecy. Less vendors are present so less people go. Not enough people show up so the vendors are not inclined to absorb the cost of showing up. Soon enough if no one goes, the show stops. "The Woodworking Shows" canceled the stop in my neck of the woods last year. I have to go to Del Mar this year to attend.

Van Huskey
10-19-2010, 1:40 AM
Don't feel bad even IWF (the largest show in the world) was smaller this year...

Ryan Hellmer
10-19-2010, 11:34 AM
I've noticed this for the last few years. Our show in KC has gotten less and less interesting. It's turned into a "tent sale" for discount tool retailers and tinkets. The only reason I go anymore is if I know I'm going to buy something. What makes it even worse is that the "show prices" aren't any better than what you could find online (most of the time even from the same vendor). I think that many trade-type shows are on the way out.

Ryan

Gene Thayer
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
I went to one in Sacramento a few years ago, and came away feeling like a "chump" after spending $10 to get in and $5 for parking. Like someone else said here, it was nothing more than a "tent sale" for mostly third-rate vendors selling overpriced crap. Learned my lesson:(

Bill Whig
10-19-2010, 2:40 PM
I went to one in Sacramento a few years ago, and came away feeling like a "chump" after spending $10 to get in and $5 for parking. Like someone else said here, it was nothing more than a "tent sale" for mostly third-rate vendors selling overpriced crap. Learned my lesson:(

I went to one of those a few years ago in Indianapolis. However, "The Woodworking Shows" has not disappointed me.

Bill

Erik Manchester
10-19-2010, 5:27 PM
I too have noticed that the woodworking shows in Canada have gotten smaller as the economy slumped, and I guess it only makes sense when times are tight for many.

Plenty of folks are still buying designer hand tools and expensive power equipment, but it must certainly be tough to keep sales up in what is a luxury market for most hobbyists.

Many people expect that the next generation will have to work harder to attain the same standard of living that their parents now enjoy, and the doomsayers claim that we in the west have seen our standard of living plateau. Doesn't bode well for companies trying to sell very expensive power equipment to hobby woodworkers. I guess I will stick with the quality handtools that I now have.

Erik in Ottawa

Kevin Womer
10-19-2010, 8:01 PM
I have to admit the WoodWorking Shows each year in Columbus has also seen a decline, but at the same time the local Woodcraft and Woodwerks nearby also have a winter sale the same weekend. It bodes nice if you are in the area and have a chance to stop by all three places within 30-40 minutes from each other and have the means to buy a new tool. It's in January, and what else would I be doing anyway besides shoveling snow?

I hope these shows don't give way to the internet, as you can see the tool in question in person and check it out before you buy and I prefer this method of spending to taking my chances on the net. I feel these forums will be all the more important to us all if we can no longer see the tools before we buy them, as people on here (SMC) are very helpful and honest.

Bruce Wrenn
10-20-2010, 9:51 PM
As or the demise of the wood shows, look no further that your computer screen. A vendor can't afford THOUSANDS, if not tens of thousands to set up and rent a booth, and then have to compete with Amazon, who basically has no expenses, offers free shipping, and no sales tax. You go to the show, see the tool demonstrated, and then come home and buy it from Amazon for a few bucks less. I consider time at the show as entertainment, and time spent with friends. Last year, The Woodworking Shows had THREE shows within an hours drive of DC, DUH! Once they did a show in Winston Salem NC. The same weekend, the four local colleges had home football games (200,000 fans), and there was a FREE air show at the airport. At 2:00 PM on Saturday, you could have sailed a quarter down the length of the venue and only hit a vendor. Once they schedule two shows (Columbia SC, and Charlotte NC) an hour and a half driving time from each other, only two weeks apart. Care to guess how the second show attendance went? Other than time spent with friends, I mostly buy "trinkets." These are the items that cost more to ship, than to purchase.

Carl Babel
10-21-2010, 5:38 PM

+1. My very first woodworking show was in San Mateo (I don't remember the year), and it was spectacular! The next year (the last San Mateo show), it was smaller, but still good. For a few years (off and on), I made the trek to Sacramento, hoping to "recapture the magic", but I am afraid that was just wishful thinking - it seemed to get smaller and less interesting every time.
Finally, a few years ago, I left feeling like I had wasted money and a lot of time or, as Gene so eloquently captured it, like a "chump"! They won't get my money again.

Hey look, there is an AWFS show in Las Vegas next July! :D

Matt Meiser
10-21-2010, 5:48 PM
I have to admit the WoodWorking Shows each year in Columbus has also seen a decline, but at the same time the local Woodcraft and Woodwerks nearby also have a winter sale the same weekend.

Last year a group of us drove down for the Woodwerks and TWWS. This year we plan to go back, but probably only to Woodwerks. There was little available at TWWS that wasn't available at Woodwerks--and Woodwerks' prices were better in most cases.

Bill Wyko
10-21-2010, 7:33 PM
They don't come to Tucson any more either. Although Eric, my BIL & I, did support the vendors generously. I guess we were in the small group that did. Most unfortunate, I'd go again and buy tools if they were to come back again.

Thomas Williams
10-21-2010, 7:52 PM
I hit the show at the fairgrounds and then on to Woodwerks and Woodcraft. As has been mentioned, I go for the entertainment value. And will probably continue to do so, no matter how few vendors show up.