PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Raised Panel End Grain

Stewart Crick
12-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Just wondering what techniques/tools everyone uses. I usually just hand sand going one grade higher (i.e.: bulk of panel to 150 or 180 & end grain at 220) then the rest of panel to even out the finish absorption.

Stu

mike lucas
12-23-2004, 5:55 PM
I use either a 5" or 6" air random orbital sander. this beat the pants off of sanding it by hand.:eek: The pad is soft enough that it forms the shape pretty good. At least good enough that no one has complained yet. And I have sold well over 1000 raised panels in one form or another. (On cabinets of corse :rolleyes: )

Ted Shrader
12-23-2004, 6:38 PM
Just wondering what techniques/tools everyone uses. I usually just hand sand going one grade higher (i.e.: bulk of panel to 150 or 180 & end grain at 220) then the rest of panel to even out the finish absorption.

StuStu -

That is exactly what I do using a block cut to mirror the shape of the profile. I worry about using a RAS - may tend to "dull" the sharp edges of the profile where it meets the field of the panel. If your panel has a smooth transition, no problem.

Ted

Steve Clardy
12-23-2004, 6:44 PM
Same technique as Mike. ROS sander

Fred Voorhees
12-23-2004, 7:23 PM
I'm another vote for the random orbital sander. Yes, if you are not careful, you can climb up the raised portion and dull the crisp edge of the panel's field, but I usually like to knock that edge off anyway since it would take finish better when it is not as crisp and sharp an edge. I have a soft pad for my ROS that is placed between the sanders base and the actual sanding disk. It conforms very well to the raised panels edges and does a fantastic job.

Rob Littleton
12-23-2004, 7:31 PM
Stewrat -

That is exactly what I do using a block cut to mirror the shape of the profile. I worry about using a RAS - may tend to "dull" the sharp edges of the profile where it meets the field of the panel. If your panel has a smooth transition, no problem.

Ted

[QUOTE=Ted Shrader]Stewrat -

Thats funny.....sorry

Ted Shrader
12-23-2004, 7:36 PM
Rob -

You're right! It is. But then proof reading isn't one of my strong suits. So I fixed it. . . . . Stu has probably been called worse. :) :)

Sorry, Stewart.

Ted

Stewart Crick
12-24-2004, 8:06 AM
Ted,

That's actually one of the nicest things I've been called! :eek:

To the others, I've never used a ROS sander on raised panel end grain. Is there an after market soft pad your employing to do this? My ROS are both Porter Cables--one VS one not. Any special technique when doing this with a ROS?

Stu

larry merlau
12-24-2004, 9:54 AM
try using a mop sander in the drill press.