PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0453P 15" Planer.....

James Efurd
10-18-2010, 8:40 PM
Hey guys my grandpa curantly uses a 20 year old + planer. He needs to knives etc etc . But when he planes cedar it just chips out very very bad. Im looking to buy this planer Grizzly G0453PX 15" Planer With Spiral CutterHead and was hoping to get some input if it would plane just about anything anyone would ship through it

Thanks guys and Im glad to be aboard the forum

James

Lance Norris
10-18-2010, 9:26 PM
James... welcome. I have the Grizzly 1021x. This planer has a spiral, indexable cutterhead similar to the one you are considering. They do an excellent job. You and your GP will be very pleased with the results, even on very figured wood. If you search here for threads on spiral head planers, you will see that there are very few complaints on the cutting quality these machines deliver.

James Efurd
10-18-2010, 9:29 PM
thanks lance. I just want something to plane something smooth. Right now I gotta use their planer then use a belt sander to get it finished. It takes chunks out. I know his is a very old planer but jsut wanted to make sure something liek this wouldnt chip out cedar knots or what not.

James

Cary Falk
10-18-2010, 9:53 PM
I just got the G0453Z a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier.

Lance Norris
10-18-2010, 9:53 PM
Knots can be tricky... no guarantee on that, but if they are tight, you should be fine. There are other advantages to the spiral head... quieter, no knife adjustments, 4 sided cutters(like having 4 sets of new blades), if you damage a cutter, you just turn it 90 degrees or replace it, unlike a full sized knife which needs reground or replaced & better dust collection(small chips as opposed to long strips of shavings). That machine will do a fine job for you.

Consider a new spiral head for the old planer. If its a stationary planer, and not a benchtop, you can get a new head for just about any planer. Check with Byrd. They make a good cutterhead. I have one on my jointer as well. Love it.

glenn bradley
10-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Another G0453Z owner. So far figured walnut, curly maple and birdseye (all tore out on my knifed machine) come out great. You can always have issues with reversing grain, knots and near-knot areas. This machine has done a real nice job for me and I am glad I went the extra bucks for the spiral. No affiliation, just a happy owner.

Van Huskey
10-19-2010, 1:37 AM
It is a fine "clone" 4 post planer no issues at all there. The index head is a "must have" if you can afford it. It won't be 100% percent no tearout BUT it will be light years ahead of most knife setups.