PDA

View Full Version : Sunburst Cup (Or "I always wanted a Stratocaster...")

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2010, 8:36 PM
This is my fourth attempt at a sunburst finish and the only one that was even mildly successful. OK.. please... don't ask me why! While there are several things I am not completely happy with, I'm very pleased with this and not because of anything having to do with how it "looks". It's the first thing I have made on the lathe that did not suffer some major screwup. No heads lopped of the stick. No big catches or grabs that always present one with a "design opportunity" or tearouts that require laborious sanding to remove.. No broken tenons. No drilled too deep holes. So from that standpoint, I'm happy with it.

And as an added bonus, here's a pic of my vacuum pedestal chuck in action. I always knew I'd find some use for that big wheelie thing I got from Jeff!

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2010, 8:43 PM
No pics???:confused:

Don't lose a minute do ya? OK, I forgot the pics. Scheech.... some guys have no imagination...

John Keeton
10-18-2010, 8:47 PM
David, savor this moment!! Seems few turnings achieve completion without some 'opportunities' along the way!;)

I like this one, and the burl is very nice. I also tend to like this form for the cup a little better.

On the first pic, it appears that the base is dyed, as well. However, on the closeup of the base, the burl appears natural. That could be the lighting, but I think I would prefer the dye effect to be the same on the base - at least for my tastes.

Roger Chandler
10-18-2010, 8:50 PM
Sorry David, did not mean to jump the gun on you......this is very nice indeed. Love the color......nice pedestal as always, and the combination of wood for the base is great as well.

You really seem to have a gift for these types of forms......before long this kind of form is going to be known far and wide as a DeCristoforo classic! :)

David E Keller
10-18-2010, 8:51 PM
I love the coloring on the main portion. I think you captured the 'sunburst' effect very nicely, but my astronomy background is admittedly lacking.

I like the detailing in the pedestal and foot, but the inclusion of a 'different' wood for the foot is a bit distracting to me. With that said, it's the variations in our turning styles that make this group interesting.

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2010, 9:01 PM
"...it appears that the base is dyed..."

I dyed the stem which is bubinga ( I seem to have a lot of that stuff) but the base is a piece of un-dyed burl. I do wish I'd made the first flare right above the base a bit more pronounced which would have given it more "lift". And my detailing still needs work.

"...the inclusion of a 'different' wood for the foot is a bit distracting to me..."

I vacillated on that one and finally decided to try it with the base uncolored. Never know until you try it, right? BTW, who's the guy in the pic? If that's you, I'm the last one with a weird photoshopped avatar. Gonna have to fix that!

Baxter Smith
10-18-2010, 9:11 PM
Nice work and congratulations on having everything go as planned! I will have to try that sometime.:)

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2010, 9:18 PM
"...congratulations on having everything go as planned..."

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far! It's just that there were no major screwups.

Tom Sherman
10-18-2010, 9:18 PM
A very cool piece DD, the dye job is top shelf heck the whole thing is top shelf.

Harvey Ghesser
10-18-2010, 9:26 PM
I like it, David!! A real beaut!

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2010, 9:34 PM
Really nice David. That is a beauty.

Scott Hackler
10-18-2010, 9:34 PM
I like the coloring of the cup but the overall shape of the cup seems a little tall, IMO. The stem is nice, expecially the upper end details. I am not so excited about the foot though. The plain burl doesnt seem to go with the rest of the piece. I think its a little out of place. I would prefer either matching foot of the stem or a dyed match to the cup.

Please enlighten the rest of us on the dying process. I am interested in starting this treatment.

David E Keller
10-18-2010, 9:35 PM
...BTW, who's the guy in the pic? If that's you, I'm the last one with a weird photoshopped avatar. Gonna have to fix that!

Yep, that giant melon belongs to me. I got tired of looking at the other one although I'm not sure that this is much of an improvement.

Paul Douglass
10-18-2010, 9:38 PM
Boy, that top glows! Beautiful piece. Almost looks like an orange slice floating in the lower left of the top.

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2010, 9:41 PM
"Please enlighten the rest of us on the dying process...."

After several dismally failed attempts at trying to make a decent sunburst using dye and rags, I figured I would need an airbrush. Being pretty much at the limit of what I am willing to spend on tools at this point, I "back burnered" the whole idea. But the other day I was at the hardware store and they had a bunch of closeout items in a bin and in there was an airbrush for $4.95. Piece of crap airbrush for sure but I figured for $4.95 I could risk it. Worked great! Yellow dye as a base coat and then dark red applied a little at a time with the airbrush and the lathe on low speed. Pretty simple.

Scott Hackler
10-18-2010, 9:52 PM
Thanks David, very interesting dying technique. My first attempt hasnt gone so well with red dye on the counter and all over my hands! My results were pretty crappy, so far and I am now sanding off the dyed outside to save the piece. I envy those of you that get it "right"!

Sean Hughto
10-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Really impressive technique all around!

I am far from skilled enough to hope to make something like this. That said, I'd like to see the next one with a dark base. I think it would make the lovely color of the bell/cup and lovely turning of the stem stand out more with the foot having a more quiet "supporting" role. ;-)

Richard Madden
10-18-2010, 10:37 PM
I like it, David. And I like it as is, yup, just like it is. Nice job.

Curt Fuller
10-18-2010, 10:42 PM
It's the first thing I have made on the lathe that did not suffer some major screwup. No heads lopped of the stick. No big catches or grabs that always present one with a "design opportunity" or tearouts that require laborious sanding to remove.. No broken tenons. No drilled too deep holes.
No fun at all!

Seriously, it's seriously nice, everything about it including the dye.

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2010, 11:01 PM
"No fun at all!"

I'll try not to get too comfortable....

Jim Burr
10-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Absolutely amazing!!

Don Alexander
10-19-2010, 12:18 AM
normally i don't much care for dye jobs but i have to say that this one is definitely eye catching and looks good

did i miss it or did you not say what wood species the main part is?

Steve Schlumpf
10-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Wow - beautiful work David! Love the color - seems to radiate from the goblet!

Seems like you are getting the hang of this turning stuff! Looking forward to seeing whats next!

Rick Markham
10-19-2010, 1:02 AM
THat is really amazing! I love it!

Norm Zax
10-19-2010, 2:45 AM
Beautiful result. Love the cup!! What wood is that?

Jeff Nicol
10-19-2010, 5:50 AM
This is my fourth attempt at a sunburst finish and the only one that was even mildly successful. OK.. please... don't ask me why! While there are several things I am not completely happy with, I'm very pleased with this and not because of anything having to do with how it "looks". It's the first thing I have made on the lathe that did not suffer some major screwup. No heads lopped of the stick. No big catches or grabs that always present one with a "design opportunity" or tearouts that require laborious sanding to remove.. No broken tenons. No drilled too deep holes. So from that standpoint, I'm happy with it.

And as an added bonus, here's a pic of my vacuum pedestal chuck in action. I always knew I'd find some use for that big wheelie thing I got from Jeff!

Dave, The big wheelie thing looks good in action! I like your goblet using a nice combination of woods and the styling has some extra flair to it. You did an excellent job on this one!

Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Rob Cunningham
10-19-2010, 8:29 AM
Beautiful work David. The cup seems to almost glow and details on the stem are nice and crisp.
Did you use your new homemade tools on this?

Patrick Doody
10-19-2010, 8:45 AM
Looks more like a tobacco burst from a '59 Les Paul than a stratocaster clownburst. Well done!!! I've ogled many beautiful guitars in the past and you nailed the effect in spades! that is officially on my list of things to do!

I love the form as well, great job!

bob svoboda
10-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a Strat. Wish it was THAT color. Very nice piece!

David DeCristoforo
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
"What wood is that?"

The cup is maple burl. Stem is bubinga and the base is also maple burl but from a different piece that has a lot of eyes.

"Did you use your new homemade tools on this?"

Yes but I'm still getting the "hang" of them.

"Dave, The big wheelie thing looks good in action!"

I use it all the time but this was an unexpected application that worked out really well. The long chuck is just too "wiggly" by itself.

"Looks more like a tobacco burst from a '59 Les Paul..."

Well I always wanted one of those too!

Thanx to all for the comments...

Jack Gaskins
10-19-2010, 8:11 PM
I never comment on anyone's turnings but this one I just have to say looks BEAUTIFUL! I like everything about it.

brian watts
10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
really like the color of it,,very nice