PDA

View Full Version : Mortise-pal/beadlock alternative

Jason Adkins
10-18-2010, 8:22 PM
Im looking at a setup for doing loose tenon joinery and have narrowed it down to the beadlock and the mortise pal. I really like how the mortise pal works but the 175 dollar price is a bit steep for me. The rockler beadlock is also intriguing but by the time you buy the beadlock pro, the accessory kits for 1/4 and 1/2, and buy a supply of their tenon stock (or a router bit at 50 bucks each x3) they are into you for 200-300 dollars. Ive been searching the web for shop-built alternatives but havent come up with anything that looks like it would work well for mortising into the end of a board for loose tenoning. Anyone know of any good shop-built alternatives?

Mark Godlesky
10-18-2010, 8:38 PM
I got mine (Mortise Pal) from the bay. A couple of times they had them listed as buy it now or make offer. This was direct from the company, not a third party.

glenn bradley
10-18-2010, 8:43 PM
If you Google Shop Made mortising Jig I think you will find a bunch, I had gone through a couple of them, one fairly involved. They worked OK. I went with the Mortise Pal when they first came out. The new ones are quite a bit better but, I wouldn't want to give it up. The fact that I like it doesn't take the sting out of the price but, I can say that it is not overpriced for what it is. Top quality and very versatile. I guess you could say I was a happy owner.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=150917&d=1274066178

Kevin Begos
10-18-2010, 8:46 PM
I also hesitated to buy a Mortise Pal because of cost but am quite happy with the purchase. It's very well made and works great. Seems like it will last me a lifetime. I didn't find anything else as good that was significantly cheaper.

Bob Landel
10-18-2010, 9:32 PM
Sorry guys but I do not agree. I still own a Mortise Pal and never could make a mortise with it which wasn't over sized for the loose tenons available. It was not particularly easy to set up. I would not consider it easy to use.

I owned a Beadlock Pro which was on sale including the 1/4" option for under $100.00 a few months ago. I liked it a lot better than the Mortise Pal.

I own or owned probably every inexpensive mortising gadget available. I returned all that I could ending up with over $800.00 credit and purchased a Domino. Yes, the kit is over $1,200.00, but my mortising problems are settled as far as I am concerned.

Jason Adkins
10-18-2010, 9:49 PM
Sorry guys but I do not agree. I still own a Mortise Pal and never could make a mortise with it which wasn't over sized for the loose tenons available. It was not particularly easy to set up. I would not consider it easy to use.

I owned a Beadlock Pro which was on sale including the 1/4" option for under $100.00 a few months ago. I liked it a lot better than the Mortise Pal.

I own or owned probably every inexpensive mortising gadget available. I returned all that I could ending up with over $800.00 credit and purchased a Domino. Yes, the kit is over $1,200.00, but my mortising problems are settled as far as I am concerned.
Bob, i sent you a PM. Might you want to sell the mortise pal?

Bill Huber
10-18-2010, 9:51 PM
Bob, I sure don't understand your problems with the MP, it has always worked for me very well and really easy to set up.

I do make all my own tenons and maybe that is the difference.

Set up to me is a snap, put the lines on the wood, line up the jig, lock it down and you are ready to go.

I put all of the slats in 2 of these little doll cradles with the MP in a very short order. The hardest part was laying out the center for the mortises.

David Hawxhurst
10-18-2010, 9:59 PM
i studied pat warners mortise jig and made one very similar to his. it works very well, plus its accurate and easy to use. to use it you will need dual edge guides of some kind.

glenn bradley
10-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I too am surprised at Bob's report on the MP but, folks that can sharpen by hand do not understand why I have so much trouble with it. We're all different in one way or another.

I do make my own tenon stock from scrap out of a project so that's basically free. The MP is designed to make the hole about 1/64" oversized IIRC. The 1/128" all around leaves smooth sides and room for glue.

Good template guides well centered are also a must. Don't expect your guide (or your router plate) to be centered, center it. My kit came with the template guide and the precision machined centering pin. I've used it on everything from picture frames to bookcases.

Dan Karachio
10-18-2010, 10:52 PM
I like making some things, but I could not make a better jig than the Mortise Pal (others might be able to, sure) and I love it. Sure it hurt a little $wise, but it is a work horse. I have pumped out 60 or so perfectly aligned mortises in an hour or two and it could have been faster if I didn't let the bit and router cool down! Can't go wrong. Highly recommended.

P.S. Glenn, is it all possible that my Festool OF 1400 is perfectly centered on it's own? I have used the centering pin, but it is always dead on. Never needs an adjustment.

glenn bradley
10-18-2010, 11:51 PM
P.S. Glenn, is it all possible that my Festool OF 1400 is perfectly centered on it's own? I have used the centering pin, but it is always dead on. Never needs an adjustment.

That's right Dan ;). When you pay that much for a router, it stays perfect all the time :D:D:D. Just kidding. Once centered, I have not had to "re-center" my plates on the two router bases I use for jigs. It would not surprise me if Festool had a step to align the base during assembly.

The mounting holes on my routers allow for adjustment (I would think they all do) and I do check them every now and then if the router gets bonked. Its so quick to check that it beats getting surprised if anything ever does get knocked out of whack :).