PDA

View Full Version : To buy this Grizzly jointer or not to buy thats…..

keith micinski
10-18-2010, 8:20 PM
OK. I have been looking for 3 months for a Grizzly 8" inch jointer and I found it! Unfortunately it's the G0656. I really wanted to get the G0490 because of the Parallel beds and the slightly longer beds. Someone please tell me the G0490 is really a lot better because this seems like a pretty good deal.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/2012347824.html

Clint Olver
10-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I think a lot depends on the user. The 0490 has a longer infeed table which is beneficial if you use long boards. It also has levers (which I much prefer) instead of wheels. Add in another 50 lbs, and you just have a much better machine in my opinion. Another $175 for a brand new, warrantied, superior machine is a small price in my opinion.

C

Cary Falk
10-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I have had a 6" with regular beda and now have an 8" with parallel beds. I guess it is a personal preference. The parallogram beds are suppose to be easier to adjust but I have never adjust mine. Maybe it is just me but the post sets off red flags. Brand new and never used? What's wrong with it that he went another direction without using it? I have a lot of Grizzly tools so that's not the issue. Maybe everything is ok, It just caught me funny. If you decide to go look at it check it over good. A lot of people have the jointer and are happy with it.

Dan Karachio
10-18-2010, 10:47 PM
"To joint, perchance to plane: ay, there's the rub"

keith micinski
10-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Clint Agree with what you say except its actually a 344 dollar savings with shipping. Plus where this is located I wouldn't be surprised if I could get it for 500. Thecowner says he bought it in February and has just been getting his shop set up all year. I guess he came across something else and just wantscto move this. Apperantly this was one of the last ones made with out the serpentine belt drive also. I am probably going to pass because I think if I got a 490 that would do me for life but it sure is tempting. Plus I keep thinking maybe this winter when I am laid off I can go get one of those 12 inchers that have been coming up on the IRS auction site recently.

Jerome Hanby
10-19-2010, 7:47 AM
If you're going to be in for $500-$600 and have to worry about getting it home, what I really wanted would have to be quite a bit more expensive for me to pull the trigger. If I could pay 50% more and get exactly what I wanted, brand new, and delivered, I'd pass on the CL.

Now if it was $300-$400, whole 'nother story :D

Chip Lindley
10-19-2010, 9:36 AM
The NEW Grizzly jointer on CL saves you about 1/3 off the list price with shipping. Of course, Griz runs sales from time to time. If you are limited in your discressionary tool-buying funds, the G0656 may be a good deal. It is brand new and unused, and fully assembled. It will probably do all you need to do as a jointer! I used a little 6" Delta/Milwaukee jointer with 32" bed for so long, any 8" jointer amazes me!

Remember that CL reaches such a broad readership, most decent buys don't last long! There are lots folks lurking with lots of cash! By the time a tool appears on CL, it is usually too late to be asking advice here in this forum. You should already know if you want the tool or not. The only question is, will you pay their price? Many sellers will come off their asking price for a quick sale.

But, IF you have your heart set on a parallelogram jointer, Buy Once--Cry Once!, and circumvent CL all together.

Will Overton
10-19-2010, 9:46 AM
I have a 6" version of Grizzly's parallel bed jointer. I don't doubt that it may be easier to adjust the beds. So far after 3 or 4 years I've had no reason to test this. The owners manual [IIRC] says that you will probably never need to adjust them.

The CL offering does look like a good deal ... but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get sold before you make up your mind.

Eric Kipker
10-19-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a G0490 Grizzly parallel bed jointer. And it was a brute getting it off the truck in 2 pieces. I purchased it new from Grizzly. I saw that one on CL here in GR and it seems a little pricey for not getting a warrenty. It is certinally for longer boards. I also have a "6 craftsman that has a lever on the infeed bed and a wheel on the outfeed bed and I use it most of the time for most of my work.

Paul McGaha
10-19-2010, 1:23 PM
Just my $.02 Keith but if it was me, considering the jointer will probably last you for your career, I think I'd get my first pick.

PHM

keith micinski
10-19-2010, 8:12 PM
It is going to be tough but I think I am going to let this one go. At the end of the day I can afford to buy the G0490 new if I had to and I plan on owning it for life. I just hate buying tools at full price. I love my new 1023 saw but it killed me paying full price.