PDA

View Full Version : RG6Q and Connectors

Larry Frank
10-18-2010, 7:54 PM
I need to run some new cable for some of the areas of the house and learned that one of the new cables is the RG6 Quad Shielded. I am planning to buy the cable in bulk and gradually replace the cable in my house with the upgraded cable.

I found that since Comcast started changing to a digital signal and you need to have a DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) to get most of the cable channels tha I had problems with the old connectors not working well enough. I had the cable guy out and he changed the end of some of my cables to the compression type and thing improved.

Does anyone have any experience with the tools used to install the compression connectors? I have looked online at the various tools and would like to pick something economical but will work. In addition, I am looking at getting the compression type connectors and the tools to install it.

Todd Willhoit
10-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Larry,
I have been using DB 360 series compression connectors from ICM Corp. They are excellent connectors that provide high-quality electrical and mechanical connections. As a bonus, they are very easy to use. Right angle and straight versions are available.

I don't know that it will meet your "economical" criteria, but I am sure you would like the system. The F connectors can be found for $14 per 50 pcs, and the stripping/crimping tool kit for $70.

http://www.icmcorp.net/F-ConnDB.htm

Todd

Brian Elfert
10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
I bought a nice cable crimping kit at Menards for about $30. It does the round compression fittings.

No issues with Comcast digital in my house. I used RG6 quad shield cable to wire my house back in 2001 when the house was built.

James Jaragosky
10-18-2010, 11:50 PM
I bought a nice cable crimping kit at Menards for about $30. It does the round compression fittings.

No issues with Comcast digital in my house. I used RG6 quad shield cable to wire my house back in 2001 when the house was built.
Back in the day when I installed cable I was told the difference between rg59 and rg60 was the amount of shielding. The extra shielding was to prevent bleed. By bleed they meant cable signal leaking out. They got fined fairly heavily for to much signal leak in a area. Also Compression fittings prevent signal leak if installed properly, in fact most fittings are suitable if installed properly. I use to use raychem fittings, the tool to strip and install was only $30.

Matt Meiser
10-19-2010, 7:38 AM
All the big boxes sell the tool. HF even has one. I got mine at Lowes and its decent.

James Jaragosky
10-19-2010, 9:30 AM
I got to thinking about what you said regarding your signal clearing up after the tech changed your fittings. As I stated in my previous post just about any fitting will work if properly installed. Proper installation is the key. Even the smallest nick or scrap in the copper center conductor will affect signal quality, this is the most common mistake made when affixing the cable fittings. Fitting manufactures have requirements for the length of exposed center conductor, ground, and outside sheathing. Getting the proper cutter for the connector is important for the connector to work properly. After the fitting is affixed check to see if any of the small strands from the ground wrap are touching the center conductor this too is a common cause for poor quality signal. Purchase quality cable not all rg6 is the same.

As I also stated in my last post Cable Company’s get fined for too much single leaking in an area so they want you to have a quality install. The company I worked for would provide cable free of charge for contractors to prewire new construction. You may want to ask your local company about supplying cable for your rehab job.
Regards
Jim J.

Dan Hintz
10-19-2010, 9:53 AM
There's a huge difference between RG59 and RG6 when it comes to bandwidth, frequency capabilities, and reduced slew. With today's digital systems using higher frequencies and high bitrates, the lower slew and higher frequency range make all of the difference in long runs.

RG6 has a thicker cross-section than RG59, so you cannot reliably use one connector on the other. Compression fittings work really well when installed properly, and as mentioned by others, the tool itself isn't expensive if you are only doing a handful (i.e., one or two houses). The compression connectors themselves, though, cost a bit more than F-connectors.

I picked up my cable on special at ZackElectronics.com

The connectors, stripping tool, etc. I picked up form some place with Fire in the name... I'll keep looking for it and post if/when I find it.

EDIT: Got it... FireFold.com. They had a good selection of customizable wall plates at good prices, which is what I was looking for at the time.