PDA

View Full Version : Where should I buy a Byrd head?

Peter Quinn
10-18-2010, 6:25 PM
So I sold some machines I was holding on to and now have the money for a Byrd shelix head for my 8" delta jointer. Where should I buy the Byrd head? I see several vendors, does anybody recommend one, can they be bought from Byrd direct?

Cary Falk
10-18-2010, 6:32 PM
I bought my Byrd for my ShopFox jointer from Grizzly.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/45

Gary Herrmann
10-18-2010, 7:33 PM
I bought mine from Brian at Holbren

Mike Ashton
10-18-2010, 7:33 PM
I bought the Byrd head for my Dewalt DW735 from Holbren and am about to order one for my Delta 8" 37-315 from them as well. They offer a discount for members of this site, I think it's 10%. If you email them and ask they can give you the coupon code.

http://www.holbren.com

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-18-2010, 8:19 PM
has anyone put a byrd head on a Ridgid JP0610 jointer?

Ted Wong
10-18-2010, 9:55 PM
Direct from Byrd Tool.

Peter Quinn
10-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Do they come with new bearings or do these need to be specified separately? Do they install them on the shaft?

Jeff Monson
10-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I bought mine from Brian at Holbren

Ditto on that, Brian was great to deal with at holbren.

Van Huskey
10-19-2010, 1:39 AM
+1 for Holbren

glenn bradley
10-19-2010, 7:53 AM
+1 for Brian at Holbren. Great service and he is a member here.

Brad Shipton
10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Peter, make sure to ask whomever you buy from about the bearings. I would bet most resellers do not include them if they are stock item. The bearings for each machine differ. My head came direct from Byrd and the bearings were not included. The bearings are not hard to find, but you will need a machinst to press them on unless you have the tools. It is easiest for Byrd to press them on all at the same time.

Brad

Joe Shinall
10-19-2010, 9:06 PM
Amazon.com

Found it much cheaper there than anywhere else for my 15" Grizzly planer.

Peter Quinn
10-19-2010, 9:11 PM
Peter, make sure to ask whomever you buy from about the bearings. I would bet most resellers do not include them if they are stock item. The bearings for each machine differ. My head came direct from Byrd and the bearings were not included. The bearings are not hard to find, but you will need a machinst to press them on unless you have the tools. It is easiest for Byrd to press them on all at the same time.

Brad

Thanks for that tip Brad. I sent Holbren an email and Brian responded quickly indicating they would include the bearings no charge if asked, so I asked, and ordered the head. Free shipping, bearings included, SMC discount, best deal around and fast CS! I can't wait to say good bye to straight knives. Maybe the planer is next?

Brian Ross
10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Ordered a 20 inch last week . Best price and more important than that, a great guy to do business with.

Brian

Mike Cruz
10-20-2010, 7:35 AM
Got mine for my 8" Delta Jointer from Grizzly.

Bill Wyko
10-20-2010, 2:06 PM
I also have an 8" Delta Jointer. Let me know what you get and how you like it. I'll be in the market for one soon as well.

Mike Cruz
10-20-2010, 6:46 PM
Bill, if you were addressing me, I got it from Grizzly and love it.

Peter Quinn
10-20-2010, 7:55 PM
I also have an 8" Delta Jointer. Let me know what you get and how you like it. I'll be in the market for one soon as well.

I ordered the byrd shelix head through Holbren. It gets drop shipped from Byrd. I have some birdseye I'm looking to work into something, some figured mahogany, and some bubinga to play with, as well as a small pile of teak drops to make into something small as yet undecided, Those should give me a quick look at how the shelix thing performs. I'll gladly share my impressions once its installed.

There is an instal page for the DJ-20 on the Byrd site that seems to cover the basics. I was talking with the cabinet maker in the condo behind where I work the other day, and he was telling me he uses a Dj-20 with a shelix head, and has been using the first side of the original inserts for three years now without rotating! Its time, but only just time. That was enough to convince me, because I'm seeing his volume of work and figuring in my home shop that might be 10 years or more on one set of inserts? I wouldn't mind taking a decade off from changing straight knives!