PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Gloat

Ruhi Arslan
10-18-2010, 5:47 PM
When I just decided that I was going to order a JET 18QT-3 after a brief discussion here during their 3000 our sale event, I came across a "never used, blades in still wrappers" for a Laguna bandsaw on CL. I've corresponded to find out more. Turns out it was a 16HD. I made a counter offer which was accepted and I drove 350miles to pick it up (my previous thread asking help what to bring). It was in a nonworking shop at the corner as a beer stand. Table surface was rusty with beer bottle rings. Plugged in to check which ran very nicely after properly tensioning the blade so it won't come off the wheel. It runs/sounds good. Didn't have the few tools it comes with. Supposedly, it was not used by them but of course it was. Blade and the other three blades are all look like 3/4" wide some cheap blades. I made another offer and they took it. Besides, getting my brand new truck side swiped from rear bumper to rear door just few minutes after I left the place, the move was uneventful. Lowered it to the floor after sliding down on a motorcycle ramp and lifting it up to it is base with ease from reclined position on its spine.
Spend a couple of hours to clean up some of the rust on the fence rail and top, cleaned up all the guides and the tilt mechanism for the table, it already looks pretty good. I still need to work on it to complete the cleanup.

Should I replace the inserts on the guides and the tires on the wheels? Wheel bearings look like press fit. Do I need a bearing extractor to pull them out to check? They seem turning nicely.

BTW, paid $1200.

Chris Nolin
10-18-2010, 5:53 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. :) I know you're still working on getting it pretty for the close-ups. IF this actually happened, then $1,200 is a GREAT price! I will withhold the standard epithet until I see the pictures...

Ruhi Arslan
10-18-2010, 7:08 PM
:)
Maybe I'll throw in a couple of teasers then...

Sorry about the rotated image. Cannot seem to get rid off the exif data.

Greg Roberts
10-18-2010, 8:25 PM
Great Score! That's just like the current new machines from what I can see.

You suck!!!

Greg

Josh Bowman
10-18-2010, 9:49 PM
I have the LT14SUV and really like it. The power is unreal! Make sure you have anything well supported....:eek: I cut a piece once and the blade broke.....the noise of the thing eating the blade scared me to death. All in all the saw though is great. Cuts well with almost no vibration. Your going to enjoy it.

Dave MacArthur
10-18-2010, 9:54 PM
Nicely done! YOU SUCK!

Van Huskey
10-19-2010, 1:34 AM
MAJOR SUCKAGE.

I would LOVE to find one of those for a second saw, it really is a nice one.

NICK BARBOZA
10-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Great find!!!!!

Looks a lot like mine! You'll have some fun with it, it is a great tool!

Good luck,
NWB

Chris Nolin
10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
So yeah, you really do SUCK! :) Hard to tell, but it looks like it's the version with the 16-1/2" resaw and the 4.5hp Baldor? That's an INCREDIBLE deal! 60% off the new price, and no shipping costs (well, a long drive and a big dent repair? Hopefully their insurance will pay?). Congrats!

Jamie Buxton
10-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I have a LT16HD, about ten years old. I haven't needed to replace the tires, and I expect you don't need to either. The guides are a slightly different story. I upgraded the thrust bearings on mine with a homebrew setup that has a true rolling contact with the blade. The side bearings are still OEM, and they work okay. That is, the OEM guide setup is troublesome enought to make me evolve it, but not so troublesome that I'd spend $400 to replace it with something else -- particularly when I don't know how well the replacement works.

Ruhi Arslan
10-19-2010, 5:54 PM
I have to make a correction... I removed the wrappings from the extra blades. Two of them turned out to be 1" Resaw King blades. The other three are Silicon 3/4" 3 or 6 TPI blades . I thought I should not allow any misinformation to be floating in the cyber space so I thought I would correct it... :D :D :D

Laguna Tools
12-22-2010, 4:07 PM
Hi Ruhi ,

How are you enjoying your bandsaw so far? I'd say you fared very well!

Peter Quinn
12-22-2010, 6:54 PM
Up until now I was inclined to say great score but given that price includes two Resaw king blades, I feel I must upgrade to a formal YOU SUCK!!!!. Enjoy that saw.