PDA

View Full Version : Another Cherry Burl Bowl

George Guadiane
10-17-2010, 10:01 PM
This bowl is the last big piece of essentially barkless cherry burl.
The bowl is 14 1/2 inches in diameter by 4 1/4 inches high and about 1/8 to 3/16 inches thick.
Sanded to 600 with Kukui nut oil with a burnished microcrystaline wax finish.
It was cored by a friend, years ago, so it's dry. It should hold this shape fairly well.

As Always, All Questions, Comments and Critiques Welcome.

Baxter Smith
10-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Great looking bowl George. That has a very unusual/yellowish color on my screen. Was the cored section that sat for a few years much different?

Paul Douglass
10-17-2010, 10:34 PM
That's a pretty one.

David E Keller
10-17-2010, 10:49 PM
What a striking piece of burl! Great form and finish. I'd probably do without the foot, but I'm one of those 'footless' guys, so don't listen to me. Did I mention that it's a great looking bowl?

gary Zimmel
10-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Sweet looking bowl George. Nice work.

Don Alexander
10-18-2010, 12:29 AM
very nicely done and awesome looking wood

Roger Chandler
10-18-2010, 6:37 AM
George,

An absolutely beautiful bowl! Great wood, and great form. As far as the foot is concerned, I am with Dr. Keller, it would be better without it, or if one is desired [I like a foot on a bowl] it should be a bit larger, as in my opinion the one you have there is too small in proportion to the bowl, and looks top heavy with the small foot.

You do nice work! A really nice turning here!

William Hutchinson
10-18-2010, 7:07 AM
Fine material that you fashioned into a wonderful looking bowl. The subtle ogee and foot distinguishes the piece from purely a utilitarian form. Well done.

John Keeton
10-18-2010, 7:15 AM
George, this is a wonderfully done bowl from another piece of beautiful cherry! I am a footed bowl kind of guy, but I go with Roger on this one - a bit wider foot, but I would reduce the height of the foot a little.

Jeff Nicol
10-18-2010, 7:45 AM
George, I like to see the bit of natural wood on the edge, it lets everyone know that i is not some manyfactured media as the burl has such nice "Eyes" and the lace effect. I have some cherry burl that I need to get turned, and I am getting caught up with some things so I may get the time!

Great bowl,

Jeff

Tim Rinehart
10-18-2010, 7:55 AM
As has been said, the form and the wood are beauties. My first impression also was to lose or reduce the foot.

I sometimes go with smaller foot (if used) on artsy pieces, vs the 1/3 rule for more utilitarian pieces. Would be interested to hear if others have a rule for 'no smaller than' in fraction of diameter for artsy stuff.

Beautiful piece and easy enough to chuck into some jumbo jaws to correct if you desire to reduce the foot.

As Jeff said, I also liked seeing a bit of the natural wood in there to 'keep it real' without detracting from beauty of the burl.

Michelle Rich
10-18-2010, 3:12 PM
I like it..the tiny foot is ok with me, tho as someone ahead of me said, it could be thinner. But golly, I think it's a beauty just as it sits.

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2010, 3:50 PM
Beautiful bowl George out of some gorgeous wood.

George Guadiane
10-18-2010, 5:39 PM
Thank you everyone, for all of your kind comments, it is a particularly NICE piece of burl.

Great looking bowl George. That has a very unusual/yellowish color on my screen. Was the cored section that sat for a few years much different?

I was tired and rushed when I shot the pictures, the colors are probably not accurate, in any view. There is no green and they don't look pink enough on my computer (now).

What a striking piece of burl! Great form and finish. I'd probably do without the foot, but I'm one of those 'footless' guys, so don't listen to me. Did I mention that it's a great looking bowl?

George,

An absolutely beautiful bowl! Great wood, and great form. As far as the foot is concerned, I am with Dr. Keller, it would be better without it, or if one is desired [I like a foot on a bowl] it should be a bit larger, as in my opinion the one you have there is too small in proportion to the bowl, and looks top heavy with the small foot.

You do nice work! A really nice turning here!

George, I like to see the bit of natural wood on the edge, it lets everyone know that i is not some manyfactured media as the burl has such nice "Eyes" and the lace effect. I have some cherry burl that I need to get turned, and I am getting caught up with some things so I may get the time!

Great bowl,

Jeff

Jeff,
For me, that's the cool part, knowing that it looks a little fake, but that it is all wood, in reality.
Get to turning that cherry burl, it looks nice and smells so good when turned.

As has been said, the form and the wood are beauties. My first impression also was to lose or reduce the foot.

I sometimes go with smaller foot (if used) on artsy pieces, vs the 1/3 rule for more utilitarian pieces. Would be interested to hear if others have a rule for 'no smaller than' in fraction of diameter for artsy stuff.

Beautiful piece and easy enough to chuck into some jumbo jaws to correct if you desire to reduce the foot.

As Jeff said, I also liked seeing a bit of the natural wood in there to 'keep it real' without detracting from beauty of the burl.

This blank was cored by someone else. He didn't do it exactly as I would have liked. Having said that, I embarked on this ogee form. I got a little aggressive in getting to depth and left myself with few options between the inside bottom and the outside bottom (I was worried that they would become "intimate") so I ran the bottom curve till I felt safe about the foot/bottom situation...

OR

This was an artistic choice as this isn't intended to be used. :cool:

Michael James
10-18-2010, 7:48 PM
Beautiful piece George! I did not miss "burls" when I did not know what they were.....:( Sooner rather than later, I hope to be able to tackle a piece and do it justice!
Qestion: what does burnish the finish mean?
thx - keep em coming!
Michael

Don Orr
10-19-2010, 11:32 AM
That'll do nicely George!