PDA

View Full Version : My wife said "Save it!"....................

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2010, 8:40 PM
I have just taken it off the lathe for the final time. That is it. No mas!

In an earlier thread I told of relearning bowl turning techniques due to a 2 year absence from bowl turning.

It's amazing how many times I had to take this bowl off and do something and then remount it, re-turn it and then take it off again.

A poorly presented bowl gouge caused the first tenon to break off, causing it to bounce off the wall and floor.

As I turned it I found worm holes...."eyes" where branches had been and in the process of turning it the eyes became dislodged requiring filling with epoxy and/or epoxy with instant coffee crystals.

I actually lost track but it was at least four times that I took it off the lathe and then remounted it.

I use a donut chuck for turning off the bottom. During my time away, I bought a #2 morse tenon with a thread on the other end that fits my chuck. Using it I was able to exactly center the bowl on the donut chuck while still mounted on my SN2. What a thing of beauty! Worth every penny I paid and it wasn't that expensive anyway.

A poor design on my part forced me to remount it one last time and turn the foot off. The foot fit my chuck but was too small in diameter for this english walnut bowl which is about 13" in diameter.

It's sanded and currently sitting on our kitchen table where I tested it on it's new bottom.

I'm headed back to the shop to wipe it down with mineral spirits...let it dry for a while and then start the antique oil process. I will post photos when its completed in a few days.

Has anybody used antique oil on walnut or english walnut.....this thing has some beautiful grain to it and ranges in color from black to white. It is IMHO the prettiest piece of wood I have had in my shop.

I am glad the wife wanted it saved.

Joe Mioux
10-17-2010, 9:13 PM
lets see it!!! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2010, 9:16 PM
My friend, I am glad to hear it was saved. I have used AO on regular walnut and Claro walnut with excellent rewards. I have never turned any english walnut so can't say but would think it would turn out right nicely. Can't wait to see it.

Tom Sherman
10-17-2010, 9:34 PM
Ken I have used AO on Walnut and have been pleased with the results, I'm sure you will too.

David E Keller
10-17-2010, 9:48 PM
I think AO works well on mythical walnut which seems to be what this bowl is made from.:D Pictures, pictures, pictures...

Baxter Smith
10-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I think AO works well on mythical walnut which seems to be what this bowl is made from.:D Pictures, pictures, pictures...
I was just thinking the same thing David.:)

Dave Storm
10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I just gave my sister a bowl made from walnut crotch that was finished with 5 coats of AO and buffed with tripoli,and ren wax. The finish was really nice . It was one of those pieces that just feels right in your hands.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Okay for all the whiner doubters.....mind you it's not finished....just a single coat of AO on the inside of the bowl....nothing on the outside......not shot in my photo booth....just sitting on a drop cloth on my assembly table in the shop using the overhead lighting....not for publication....

I really think it's the prettiest piece of wood I have ever turned and it is my first piece of walnut of any kind.....

It measures about 13" by 2 1/2" tall.

BTW..on the side shot...the outer edge of the rim is a crisp line. I don't know why it appears that way on this photo?

On the inside of the bowl....the knots where limbs had been....those black holes and the crack on one side were filled with epoxy mixed with crushed instant coffee crystals.

Baxter Smith
10-17-2010, 11:29 PM
That is a unique (and gorgeous) piece of wood! Thanks for breaking the suspense!

Don Alexander
10-18-2010, 12:32 AM
that is absolutely gorgeous and obviously worth the effort

well done , Ken

Greg Ketell
10-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Be sure to thank your wife for making you save it. That one is absolutely beautiful!!

Michael James
10-18-2010, 12:42 AM
If I had a chunk of wood that pretty, I would never give up! Way to hang in there, and BTW, those of us that are not professional photographers dont mind "regular" photos...we just want to see the goods!:D

John Keeton
10-18-2010, 7:27 AM
Ken, your re-learning experience paid off well! Really a nice bowl, and I have to agree on the walnut - it is an unusually beautiful piece of wood.

David E Keller
10-18-2010, 8:20 AM
Wow, that's a nice looking bowl from a gorgeous chunk of wood. Way to stick with it.

Lee Koepke
10-18-2010, 8:36 AM
That IS one nice piece of wood. Very nice job, and the extra effort makes it even more special!

Tom Sherman
10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
All right Ken, an excellent bowl inspite of the diffulities. The wood is as you said very beautiful.

Rich Aldrich
10-18-2010, 8:07 PM
Nice job and nice piece of wood. You are showing us that persistance pays off.

Curt Fuller
10-18-2010, 8:19 PM
Beautiful bowl Ken! I'm glad you hung in there with it, it's well worth the effort.