PDA

View Full Version : Peltor Worktunes rules!

Cliff Newton
12-23-2004, 12:42 AM
I listen to a lot of talk radio and find myself standing in the shop waiting for a commercial before I start cutting wood. Well, I just bought one of these Peltor headsets and it is GREAT. The loudest machine in my shop is my 13" planer and now I can run my planer and my 2hp dust collector at the same time and still hear Rush bash Clinton for the millionth time.

Bill Arnold
12-23-2004, 3:46 AM
I listen to a lot of talk radio and find myself standing in the shop waiting for a commercial before I start cutting wood. Well, I just bought one of these Peltor headsets and it is GREAT. The loudest machine in my shop is my 13" planer and now I can run my planer and my 2hp dust collector at the same time and still hear Rush bash Clinton for the millionth time.
Cliff,

I've often thought about getting a headset like you describe. My concern is that one of the safety factors in operating any of the machines we use is listening to it. If the machine starts laboring, it's telling us something important. I use ear plugs when using the noisiest machines and they reduce the noise substantially but I still hear what the machine is doing.

Regards,

Arnie Grammon
12-23-2004, 4:52 AM
I have a Worktunes as well.......here are some random thoughts:

I like my hearing. These are designed to save my hearing so I can hear my power tools when I am 75 yrs old.

As far as listening for a laboring tool, I still think that's possible. Earplugs of any kind will reduce the howl......Think of these as noise reducers first and radios second.

I use them for most power tool applications, but when I am doing hand work, off they come. Just my preference.

For the first 10 yrs of my working life, I was running newspaper presses or around them every day. Think loud. I am so glad I used hearing protection then. It never did interfere with listening to the press to hear sounds.

And finally, I listen to Contemporary Christain music. Talk about soothing and relaxing after a hard day at the office. Try it, you just might like it.

AG