PDA

View Full Version : Got This Year’s Boat Home Safely

Bob Smalser
12-23-2004, 12:26 AM
A barebones 19’ Chamberlain Gunning Dory as drawn by John Gardner, bought sight unseen as excess from Seattle’s Center for Wooden Boats museum at auction. Got it home for less than a grand and will put another 1500 or so in it to finish it out with a rig.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/6035832/77494165.jpg

Surprises mostly pleasant, it’s hardly been in the water at all. Looks professionally built locally based on accurate conformation to plans with perfectly fair lines and where corners were cut to save labor costs. Appears to have been built in 1995 with epoxied batten seam DF plywood, White Oak sawn framing and rails, Alaskan Yellow Cedar thwarts, and all bronze fasteners/hardware. Screws left unplugged, outside of hull epoxy saturated with fabric at seams and perhaps the entire hull with a second layer at the seams. Interior painted with some very, very hard paint over a white primer…exterior spray-painted with one thin coat of (acrylic?) enamel that’s flaking off. No false bottom but SS skid plates to protect the ends of the bottom and no hardware protection for oak outer stems.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/6035832/77494187.jpg

Inner stems are interesting….sawn oak laminated vertically instead of horizontally, the lams screwed and epoxied together. The curve on these is shallow enough for that to work acceptably and it was faster, as no mold was required for the lamination.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/6035832/77494223.jpg

Thwart fit fair to middling with some cheating where the frame slots were overcut on a couple…. thwarts in these economical dory designs are important structural members supporting the hull framing as spalls (crossbraces)….putty is not a substitute for thwart-to-frame contact. They are a clunky, 1” workboat thick currently, so thinning them to ¾” and beveling the undersides won’t cause problems and will allow me to refit them. The two front thwarts’ll be supported by the Center Board case and I’ll turn posts for the rear ones to compensate for thinning, and add side seats at the rear for the helmsman.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/6035832/77494292.jpg

Sawn oak frames were epoxy filleted to the bottom plywood…and one has cracked here. Not the best practice gluing solid stock to plywood like this, IMO. I’ll have a whole lot of unnecessary mess cutting that centerboard slot through those frames and cleating the cut frame ends to the CB case for stability.

To make a sailor out of her without wrecking her qualities, we plan to add:

1) Gardner's large Beachcomber Center Board/case and through-hull brass pipe rudder with yoke and line tiller. Lathe-turned mast step and laminated spruce thwart knees…two per side.

2) Light chain plates and lashed side stays for the mast. Hull painted gloss black. 1" synthetic manila rope bumper and matching fenders. 2 sets of oars and raised oarlock pads.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/6035832/77494285.jpg

3) Light canoe deck and coaming ala a Rushton canoe below. Laminated spruce knees and beams, ¼” H. Mahogany ply and laminated solid coaming finished bright. Sheet styrofoam beneath decking.

http://www.wcha.org/wcj/v20_n3/erie.gif

I want the kids to be able to carry a lot of sail/ballast, go fast with abandon and bury the rail in a puff without swamping...and also a small place to hide flotation, oars, float coat bag, etc. I can handle the oars being visible but any modern stuff evident like foam isn't to my taste.

If it capsizes before the rail buries...we'll just add more ballast. ;) It's more fun when you're the fastest thing out there. Plus I want them to be able to take it across a river bar in heavier water out on the Peninsula, too...I know it was designed for big water, but big water here and the big water it was designed for can be two different critters.

Plus I like the look.

4) Pine false bottom a half inch thick and relocate the skid plates atop….to protect the bottom from wear with sacrificial pine. Will also cover the caulked CB case joinery with it.

5) Mower Dory Alpha rig...15' solid spruce mast and boom...54.4sf main...15.3sf jib. Tanbark Sailrite kit in light 4oz. Synthetic manila lines. Bronze hardware. Spruce oars as long as will hang neatly beneath the decks as alternate propulsion.

A 50% larger rig than Gardner drew for the Gunning Dory, but decking, side stays and 100lb or so of lead shot bagged around the CB case should make it work in our light summer air.

The only question is how much sail I can get away with.

Gardner drew the 18' Gunning Dory with an admittedly-conservative 47sf total...

...the decked, 18' Mower (more frames- a stronger, heavier hull) with 70sf...

...the open 21' Beachcomber (same framing as the Gunner) with 72sf....all Alpha rigs.

Yet he also drew the open 16' Swampscott with 73sf in a sprit.

And the 19' Glen-L Alpha 2 claims to have 117sf...but the pic doesn't match the specs and I suspect a misprint.

http://www.glen-l.com/

So I’ll probably build a rig to match the 72sf Beachcomber as it's easier/cheaper to cut it down than make a new rig. The epoxied batten seam is stronger than a traditionally constructed dory and I doubt it needs the the extra framing of the mower. At the price of Sailrite kits these days, two sets of sails isn't an option.

Rob Russell
12-23-2004, 7:44 AM
Ya know Bob, your project sorta makes my project of retrimming the inside of the house seem simple by comparison. I knew that boatbuilding was an art, but your pictures and prose really drive that point home.

One request, if you don't mind.

Would you keep updating the thread, or start another one, and show the various steps you go through as part of your refurbishment/upgrade/conversion work? It sounds like it would be fascinating to see what you have to go through to do everything you've described.

Interesting post!

Oh - I'd say "smooth sailing", but that implies slow and and that's clearly not what you want!

Rob

Bob Smalser
12-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Sure, I'll take you through it. You can see the batten I'm using to determine if the gunwales have enough bevel already to provide the deck a bit of camber so water runs off.

Boats aren't especially difficult once you learn how to make patterns from a full-sized laydown done in two dimensions....a "lofting"....they are just different than all the variations we do on square boxes to make cabinetry. And "lofting" from a "table of offsets" is really straightfoward and simple.

http://www.digitalnorseman.com/vships/oseoffs.html

"Stations" are simply horizontal distance along a baseline...usually where molds go to bend the planks around.

"Heights" are the plan view distances up from the baseline in feet-inches-eighths represented as 1-10-15 or in millemeters as in the example.

"Halfbreadths" are simply the end view done the same way.

You lay down flat plywood, paint it white, draw out your baseline, plot all the points, connect them using battens that bend fairly, held in place with ice picks or brads, and make all your patterns from your drawing.

There is no shaping/dimension/angle problem in either boats, furniture or structures that can't be solved by a full-sized or scaled lofting...it's just another tool in your kit. In structures, for example, it's often a heck of a lot easier than doing (and trusting) the math.

It's just a bit slower than furniture because of all the detailed planning and hand fitting required. Building that basic hull above took 160 hours or so...and me fitting it out will tale another 160 hours. Simple components I can make in three hours for a house or cabinet can take 3 days in a boat.

http://home.att.net/~shipmodelfaq/smf-q078a.gif

Tyler Howell
12-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Very interesting!

I'll be taking notes.

John Bailey
12-23-2004, 1:22 PM
Bob,

I second the idea of keeping us posted. I've built a kayak and a dingy for my Alberg 30. I've got study plans for a Paul Gartside cruising boat that I would like to build some day. So, I'm always interested in boatbuilding.

John

Carl Eyman
12-23-2004, 4:42 PM
Aye. and a Yar Craft she'll be

Bob Aquino
12-24-2004, 10:03 AM
"This Years Boat", sounds like you are a repeat offender. I sympathize with the mucking around in boats disease. A couple of years ago, I picked up a san juan 21 for 600 bucks including a decent 4hp motor. Had original sails and needed quite a bit of work to get her in shape. Now she sits out in the back waiting for me to take her out.

My brother built a boat around an old sailfish sail rig. He got plans for a flat bottom boat called a "Featherwind". He built the boat in the garage (16' overall length) and I sailed it with him last summer. Actually got it up to 6 kts with a good stiff breeze. He used a latex paint on it and is now having issues with it cracking. I did tell him that he should have fully glassed the bottom, but who listens to their know it all brothers anyway. Good luck with the boat. Some day I may try building a boat from scratch.

Here are some pix of my last mucking project:

Bob Smalser
12-24-2004, 10:22 AM
"This Years Boat", sounds like you are a repeat offender. I sympathize with the mucking around in boats disease.

Yes and no.

I'll put 2500 bucks and 160 hours into the project with lots of "pretty" and "special", play with it for the summer to fine tune it, and sell it to some wealthy enthusiast at a large Woodenboat Festival for anywhere from 8-12 grand....then start all over again.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3075025/59367496.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/4518261/60037711.jpg

Keeps me out of bars, eh?

Bob Aquino
12-24-2004, 12:45 PM
A hobby that pays for itself. Sounds like a plan to me. I keep browsing boats on ebay thinking about getting something a bit bigger, but I have to keep the draft down to 2' or less or I wont get up the creek at low tide.

Dave Richards
12-24-2004, 1:30 PM
Bob, that looks like an interesting project. I'll be interested in seeing how it goes.

I don't recall seeing frames that ovelap like that. Interesting.

The gun'l on the far side in the first picture looks like it has a couple of wows in it. A trick of the light?

Thanks for sharing this with us. You're making me think I shoulddrag the old 1932 wooden X-boat down from the cabin and see about restoring it. :eek:

Bob Smalser
12-24-2004, 2:16 PM
The gun'l on the far side in the first picture looks like it has a couple of wows in it. A trick of the light?

Looks like it in the pics, don't it?

But it battens out fair enough...that little digital is neat, but the viewfinder offset from the lens does strange things, occasionally.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/6035832/77708048.jpg

It's much more than a hobby....you fellas who sell your work would do well to explore the world of those week-long festivals to find craft-loving clients....even if what you do is cabinetry. After a few days of absorbing acres of nicely-done mahogany brightwork and bronze, folks are in the mood to have something timeless and classic for themselves.

I can put two or three relatively inexpensive boats in the water next to gleaming, million-dollar yachts, pay for the entry fees by giving a few classes on how to make something, and sell almost anything I want to for top dollar. Boat lumber, knees, wood-shell blocks, wood mooring cleats, oars, leathers, sheaths, fiddlework, shelves, racks, tools, ropework....the boats themselves...you name it.

I enjoy rehabbing old hand tools on the side and have often thought about a joint venture with a local well-known antique tool dealer collector....spend all year rehabbing 6-20 dollar, user-grade classic edge tools, planes, braces, bits, saws, slicks....and setting up a "Tools for Boatbuilding" booth combined with some classes on how to use them, selling them off in the process for enough money to make one feel downright guilty.