PDA

View Full Version : laser stoped working

fred sanchez
10-17-2010, 6:30 PM
:confused:what would make my laser stop firing? i have a universal vls3.60 was working fine on monday now the laser wont fire ..
i have checked all the doors there all closed i get the red pointer when open but when i start a job i get nothing.

Scott Shepherd
10-17-2010, 7:41 PM
Sounds stupid, but make sure your colors are mapped right you have them set to raster or vector.

I remember having an issue some time ago and it was all because I had something set wrong in the control panel, not something wrong with the laser. Might not be your issue, but thought I'd mention it so you could make double sure it's all set right.

Martin Boekers
10-17-2010, 8:08 PM
Your laser ought to have a "test fire" I would try that to and see if it fires or not.

On my Epilogs it within the maintenance menu.

Marty

Joe Pelonio
10-17-2010, 8:10 PM
That's nearly a week that it sat idle, maybe, if there's no tickler on your machine it needs to warm up. How long did you run it before you stopped?
It may take 5 minutes or more running in low power engraving mode before it starts firing.

AL Ursich
10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Are the door switches magnetic... So many times I see posted here that a magnet dropped off the door and that was why the laser would not fire...

Can you place a post it note where the beam comes into the box and try firing the laser...... Could be a burnt mirror or cracked lens?

AL:cool:

Mike Null
10-18-2010, 5:50 AM
Fred

Are you sure the job is getting to the laser?

Check all cables and reconnect them.

Frank Corker
10-18-2010, 6:51 AM
It's a nightmare time for you at the moment I'm sure, but all of the checks above are really relevant, especially the safety switching.

Zvi Grinberg
10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
:confused:what would make my laser stop firing? i have a universal vls3.60 was working fine on monday now the laser wont fire ..
i have checked all the doors there all closed i get the red pointer when open but when i start a job i get nothing.

Did you try a job that was OK before?

To check if the laser fires, you can go to System Tab, click the alignment button, then click the center middle button, then fire the laser.
You can put a sheet of paper just beneath the lens' carriage.

By the time I post here, you might be able to contact tech support already, which I would do first thing if your laser still does not fire.

fred sanchez
10-21-2010, 9:19 PM
thanks for all your answers and help..i called universal and they sent me a new laser tube pluged it in and worked just fine. turned the machine off and back on and poof no laser again. freakn crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy:mad:.
has to be something eles i dont get it

Bill Cunningham
10-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Did it actually make a pop sound when you turned it on? I'm wondering if there is something in the power supply that's gone wild, and frying something on the laser RF board which I assume is part of the tube assembly..