PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new Miter Saw

Maurice Arney
10-17-2010, 3:12 PM
Hi people,
I am thinking of buying a new Miter saw but am having trouble deciding. I'm looking at the new Makita four pole sliding miter saw with stand, which comes in either 10 inch or 12 inch blade. There is not much difference in price ($710 for the LS1216LX and $679 for the LS1016LX) so at first glance this seems like a "no brainer." But then I got to thinking... Are there disadvantages in a 12" blade opposed to a 10" blade? Could there be deflection in the large blade affecting the precision for furniture making? Are there other drawbacks to having a larger blade that I may be overlooking? I plan to keep this saw permanently set up in my shop for general woodworking purposes, so mobility is not an issue.
I would appreciate any opinions on this subject or on either of these two saws.

Thank You so much!!

Rob Holcomb
10-17-2010, 5:51 PM
I have a Dewalt 12" sliding dual compound miter saw that I bought 3 years ago. I've had no issues with it at all. The only disadvantage for me has been the difference in the price of the blades.

Bruce Page
10-17-2010, 6:56 PM
Man, if I were going to spent that kind of money I would take a good hard look at the new Bosch 12” saw, Model #GCM12SD.
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=GCM12SD#

FWIW, I haven’t experienced any deflection problems with my POJ 12” Skill miter saw.

Steve Griffin
10-17-2010, 7:13 PM
No doubt some will chime in and say the 12" blades are more expensive.

They are not. Cost per tooth is roughly the same. You will be able to go longer between sharpening and replacement. In the mean time, you will be able to chop off thicker table legs and moldings with no trouble.

Go for the 12", and be sure to let us know if you ever don't like the added capacity....

-Steve

Donny Lawson
10-17-2010, 7:42 PM
You should try looking on Craigslist. I bought a Ridgid 12" compound sliding miter saw with a Ridgid stand for $250.00. Retail was $760.00. I thought that was a great deal.
Donny

Dave Lehnert
10-17-2010, 8:21 PM
WOOD Magazine is going to do a review of 10" sliders in next month issue (Dec)

Mike Harrison
10-17-2010, 11:49 PM
I used a friends Hitachi SCMS recently and was VERY impressed. Its quiet, has an adjustable laser marker, bevels right and left 45+ degrees, and miters 57* one way and 47* the other. THe thing is accuate and stable. Runs circles around my poor old 8-1/2" Makita. Don't get me wrong the Makita has been a very good saw, Just doesn't have the miter capacity of a 12" and only bevels in one direction.

I've decided I'm going to get their latest 12" saw within the next few weeks. THe Hitachi C12RSH is unique in that the slider bars are adjustable and the saw requires very little realestate to the rear. I has a unique slider bar system.

These saws, and I presume most SCM saws can be had for a very wide range of prices, so I'll be looking for the best price.

Maurice Arney
10-18-2010, 8:02 AM
Thank you everyone for the input. I have to admit that I am so impressed with Makita tools I had not considered any other brand. I’ve decided to go with a 12” saw. But as has been pointed out, if I’m going to spend that kind of money, I owe it to myself to investigate some other saws. One of my requirements is a good solid stand (one without crooked rollers on the extensions!) that can be tucked away in my shop with the saw still installed.

One big problem I have right now is that there is no retail store within 100 miles of here, and it is difficult shopping the internet for brands that I have no experience with. I have never been disappointed by Makita so I feel confident buying online.

scott vroom
10-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I own a Hitachi 10" SCMS and have been very pleased with it's performance. I use it primarily as an on-site finish and cutoff saw for remodels so weight was a factor (12" saws are a bit heavier/bulkier) Thus far I've not run across a situation where I wished I had a 12" saw. Having said that, if portability isn't an issue I can't think of any reason (other than cost) not to get a 12" for a stationary shop saw. Either way, you'll love owning a SCMS. Do youself a favor and give Hitachi a look; Hithachi invented the SCMS about 20 years ago and their saw is top quality and well designed.

Ben Davis
10-18-2010, 11:12 AM
It seems like you should weigh the real estate that you can dedicate to a larger saw against the need for extra capacity. Do you REALLY need the space, or do you REALLY need the capacity. I mean, how on earth did get back with "just" a 10" saw?!?

Maurice Arney
10-18-2010, 5:33 PM
WOOD Magazine is going to do a review of 10" sliders in next month issue (Dec)

Thanks... I'll "keep an eye out" for it!

Glen Butler
10-18-2010, 5:53 PM
I think your decision to go Makita is a good one. Their sliders stay true. As far as blades, it is all about the quality of the blade. I have started using a tenryu full kerf in my 12 SCMS and it has made all the difference.

Don Jeansonne
10-19-2010, 2:14 PM
I bought the LS1016L from Home Depot last month for $449. It was a great deal matching an internet price. I find it an excellent saw and does everything I could imagine necessary. It matches or exceeds most 12 inch saw capacities. I also believe that 10 inch blades are more accurate, less deflection and cheaper.

It is a top rated saw.
I was torn between the Hitachi but went with Makita.

Mark Ashmeade
10-19-2010, 2:54 PM
I used a friends Hitachi SCMS recently and was VERY impressed. Its quiet, has an adjustable laser marker, bevels right and left 45+ degrees, and miters 57* one way and 47* the other. THe thing is accuate and stable. Runs circles around my poor old 8-1/2" Makita. Don't get me wrong the Makita has been a very good saw, Just doesn't have the miter capacity of a 12" and only bevels in one direction.

I've decided I'm going to get their latest 12" saw within the next few weeks. THe Hitachi C12RSH is unique in that the slider bars are adjustable and the saw requires very little realestate to the rear. I has a unique slider bar system.

These saws, and I presume most SCM saws can be had for a very wide range of prices, so I'll be looking for the best price.

I bought the C12RSH a month or so ago. It was hideously noisy, snatched the wood and went back the following day. Not at ALL what I expected from a high end saw. I will say it was well built, massive in construction and slid easily on its runners. The other thing (specific to me) was that the mounts didn't fit my stand; the holes are in a triangular, not rectangular, pattern so I'd have needed another $200 or so for a new stand.

I may try the new Bosch when it comes out, but if that doesn't hit the spot, perhaps I'm just not meant to get on with miter saws. If only my RAS was portable.