PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 8" jointer?

Greg Urwiller
10-17-2010, 2:58 PM
Local CL has a Grizzly G1018 8" jointer with an HTC mobile base for $350. No pics or description. Who's got one? Decent jointer? I've got an old Craftsman 6" that works all right, probably should be gone through and adjusted. Haven't been thinking about replacing it right now, but since this one came up for sale, have been thinking about it. Greg

Mark Godlesky
10-17-2010, 3:43 PM
Do you mean G1018? Grizzly lists the G1028 as a dust collector.

I bought the G1018 on CL and it does what it's supposed to do. As you know from your CM there is not much to a jointer. As long as the tables and fence are flat and the motor is OK you should have no problems. I think $350 for an 8" jointer is a good price.

Greg Urwiller
10-17-2010, 3:49 PM
Yea, that's the one....I edited it to read right. Getting a new shop, if the contractor ever works more than one day a week that is, and was figuring on a DC first. Then this showed up on CL. But, the 2hp HF DC is cheap at $139 w/coupon, and this jointer would be quite a step up from the Craftsman. Talked to the guy about an hour ago, said it was about 10 years old, not a smoking deal, but didn't sound too bad. Greg

Steve Griffin
10-17-2010, 4:09 PM
That jointer has been in my business for 10 years, and it's great. I did add about a foot to the infeed table, which makes jointing long boards easier.

8" would be a huge upgrade from your 6" craftsman-- many boards are over 6" that you want to face joint. I often face joint boards up to about 12" and then run them through the planner on a piece of 8" wide ply.

One of these days I'll get a 12" jointer, and it's good to see that my old 8" griz holds it's value well.

-Steve

Warren Clemans
10-18-2010, 4:30 PM
I have that exact beast. Works fine. The table adjustment levers aren't the greatest--it's hard to make really precise fine adjustments. Mine came with a big pit on one of the machined surfaces that the infeed table rides on. You have to take the tables off to check that. It doesn't seem to affect the function, but it has always annoyed me because I feel like it shouldn't have left the factory that way but it wasn't visible so they let it slide. $350 seems like a decent price. This will be a HUGE upgrade over your craftsman. Keep the knives sharp and it will give you a mirror smooth finish.

Greg Urwiller
10-18-2010, 8:04 PM
I read the instruction manual (online) but don't really understand how the table adjustment works. Do you just loosen the table locks and "lever" the table up or down? I forgot to ask the guy if it was the lever style. I haven't done anything on it yet (it's still listed) cause I'm not sure this is the one I want. I know it would be a heck of an upgrade, but since I really haven't been looking for one I can't get excited enough to pull the trigger. I had the day off today, it's about 100 miles away, but just couldn't do it yet. Thanks. Greg

Mark Godlesky
10-18-2010, 8:26 PM
I haven't used one with the levers. Mine has the hand wheels. Sorry.

Joe Shinall
10-18-2010, 9:30 PM
I have the Griz 8" with handwheels. Love it, wouldn't trade it for anything. Except a 10" or bigger.......

Neal Clayton
10-19-2010, 2:25 AM
i have the newer model of that jointer. no complaints, working fine for about 2 years now.

glenn bradley
10-19-2010, 7:52 AM
Do you just loosen the table locks and "lever" the table up or down?

That's how my G0490X works. Very easy and I was glad to discover, very controllable. In my inexperience, the levers were my only area of concern when shopping this jointer. Turns out it is a non-issue.

Chip Lindley
10-19-2010, 9:09 AM
...I haven't done anything on it yet (it's still listed) cause I'm not sure this is the one I want. I know it would be a heck of an upgrade, but since I really haven't been looking for one I can't get excited enough to pull the trigger. I had the day off today, it's about 100 miles away, but just couldn't do it yet. Thanks. Greg

No worries Greg, it's GONE now anyhow....

Greg Urwiller
10-20-2010, 6:05 AM
Hope you enjoy it if you got it! Without knowing or understanding how it adjusts, I never got interested enough to look at it. I actually found more information on the internet on the "old" Dewalt GWI RAS advertised for $75 that was only 30 min down the road from me, than I did on the jointer. As luck would have it, I had to work late yesterday, and by the time I called he'd just sold it. Oh well! My enthusiasm over buying equipment seems to be waning anyway. We've had the nicest fall in years, and the contractor doing my shop add. appears to have bigger/better paying jobs to do. I'm getting worried that I won't get it done before the weather turns. Looks like I might have look for a storage unit for what I've got in the garage now! Thanks. Greg