PDA

View Full Version : A couple of pens whilst I ponder.

James Combs
10-17-2010, 2:16 PM
Here are a couple of slimline pens I finished yesterday while thinking about what my next larger project might be and also what kind of lid/finial treatment I want to do to finish out the plum HF recently posted. Both pens are finished with CA, acrylic polish and wax.

164619 164620
Gold Slimline dressed in simple maple - A customer order

164621 164622
Gold Slimline dressed in Canary Wood - A Spec. Pen

David E Keller
10-17-2010, 5:03 PM
Nice looking pens, JD. How's the canary wood to turn? I like the looks of it, but I've never managed to turn any.

Donny Lawson
10-17-2010, 8:12 PM
Nice looking pens. I like the Canary one best.
Donny

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2010, 9:17 PM
James both are great looking pens. The canary I really like.

Rod Torgeson
10-18-2010, 9:11 AM
James....Nice looking pens. If you have a board and not just a canary wood blank, and you were to cut the blanks for a canary wood pen at about a 15 degree angle across the wood, you would get a completely different look to your pen. I have done this and liked the results.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

James Combs
10-18-2010, 8:48 PM
Nice looking pens, JD. How's the canary wood to turn? I like the looks of it, but I've never managed to turn any.

I didn't stand out as being significantly different to turn then most of the exotics I have turned so I don't recall any pros or cons.:o

James....Nice looking pens. If you have a board and not just a canary wood blank, and you were to cut the blanks for a canary wood pen at about a 15 degree angle across the wood, you would get a completely different look to your pen. I have done this and liked the results.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

It was a grab bag pen blank and the only one. Wish I had some more. The 15* cut is typically the way I cut my blanks if I have a choice.:) The grab bag did not ID it so I had to find it here, http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/, after finding something that looked similar in a Woodcraft or PSI catalog.