PDA

View Full Version : Another tumble down the slope

George Sanders
10-17-2010, 12:24 PM
I just can't quit going to auctions, especially when there is neander loot to be had. I started out bidding on a portable forge and won it. This only served to encourage me. I then bought a tail vise. Then there was a box full of braces and drills to be had for (drum roll) SIX BUCKS. I can't find any marking on the leather padded chest drill. There is one Stanley Handyman #1220 Hi-Lo with seven bits. Then 2 boxes of saws at 2 bucks each. There were several Disstons, including a small panel saw, along with two Atkins, and four Simmonds. There was 1 split nut saw with a nib that is missing the medallion. Argh! I'm pretty sure it's a Disston but who knows.
Things got a little spendy when I bought a Stanley #62 folding rule for twelve dollars, ten for a hand grinder, and thirteen for a one man Disston tree saw. I had no interest in it but the etch is readable and it called out to me.
The 2 levels went for a buck. One is an aluminum Handyman, the other is a Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett OVB. (Our Very Best) One brace is also from H.S.B. The other is from the company that bought them out in the 1960's and branded them True Value. Now for some pics. More to follow after the camera recharges.

Gary Hodgin
10-17-2010, 1:28 PM
Nice haul!! No auctions like that around here -- lucky to find a craftsman screwdriver.
Gary

harry strasil
10-17-2010, 1:38 PM
+1 for nice haul.

Marv Werner
10-17-2010, 1:53 PM
I collect old hand grinders..... really like the one you have there and it even has the steady rest.

The best of your drills is the large breast drill. Looks like it's all there and even has a D handle for the side. Have never seen a D handle on the side. Looks like a two speed. That's a real keeper.

Marv

George Sanders
10-17-2010, 2:08 PM
Harry, when I get the camera charged you can tell me what kind of forge I bought. I think it's a Champion.
Marv, the large drill has a leather pad on the butt. It is two speed and the mechanism works. I too have never seen a D handle on the side. This thing is very heavy and I wouldn't want to use it all day.
The patent date on the no name grinder is: Oct. 17, 1911.
I was wrong about getting 4 Simmonds saws. Two are Diamond Edge. They are very well made and comfortable in my hand. They have the D handle lower than a Disston with a place recessed at the top for the other hand. I'll have to research those.
There were no socket chisels at all in the sale. They are the thing I'm really trying to find.

Dan Andrews
10-17-2010, 3:18 PM
The drill with the cap missing from the head appears to be a Goodell-Pratt. I think that is the best hand drill you got for a user. I would turn a new head for it and use it. I collect Millers Falls but one of my most often used hand drills is a Goodell-Pratt.

As with others, I have never seen a breast drill with a "D" side handle. That thing looks monstrous. I wonder if the D handle will work in place of the breast rest if you wanted to use it that way. I have seen the leather strap on the rest before, but not often. I'll bet Breast drill collectors would like that one.:)

Marv Werner
10-17-2010, 3:44 PM
Dan,

When you turn a cap for one of those drill handles, how do you turn the female thread?

Thanks,
Marv

PS...I too collect old eggbeaters and also breast drills. Combined I have close to a hundred. My wife is trying to get me to go for therapy.

George Sanders
10-17-2010, 4:09 PM
The egg beater is a Goodell Pratt. I plan to sell it and all the single gear egg beaters that I don't want. I have a GP egg beater in excellent condition that I will keep.
I did find out that the diamond edge saws are from Sharpliegh. I've never found one before and I hope it cleans up enough to read the etch.

george wilson
10-17-2010, 4:24 PM
I have had one of those leather padded breast drills for ages. Never used it. I'll have to go dig it out and tell you the name. Mine never got rusty,and I think the name is still on it.

George Sanders
10-17-2010, 4:36 PM
That would be greatly appreciated. I also forgot to mention that the drawknife is an eight inch Greenlee.

George Sanders
10-17-2010, 5:09 PM
Here's the rest of the haul, or at least the good stuff. The forge has #556 cast on the blower. The top saw with the plastic handle is why Disston is out of business.:( Going down are 2 Sharpliegh 7 tpi followed by an Atkins 8 point, a Simmonds 8 and 5 1/2.
I gave $11 for the Craftsman lathe and a dollar for the small grinder. Twelve for the Stanley #62 folding rule.
I know the lathe and grinder aren't true neander tools but for the moment they are cordless aren't they.:rolleyes:

george wilson
10-17-2010, 5:13 PM
Alright,it is a Goodell Pratt. Same model exactly,except yours must be earlier as mine has a heavy stamped out sheet steel handle for cranking,while yours has a cast iron one. The gold decal on the red large gear is just not readable,but the chuck says Goodell Pratt. My chuck still has about 1/2 nickel plate on it.

Off hand,that forge is a rivet forge common in old construction like the Empire State Building,where beams were riveted together.

The lathe is a Craftsman, but probably from the 40's or 50's. I've seen a number of those around. They have a better bed than the later tubular bed ones of the 60's.

George Sanders
10-17-2010, 5:47 PM
Thanks again George. It will go well with my other Goodell Pratt breast drill. The lighter one! You are correct on the craftsman lathe. It was made by King-Seeley. I have the tubular one and my dislike of it is why I bought the older one. The forge had a 1" wide flat belt to drive the blower. I'm not worried about this as I only bought it to sell.

harry strasil
10-17-2010, 6:27 PM
Also called a farriers forge for making horseshoes, in that good a condition, with the cast iron fire bowl, they bring from $100 to $200 usually. FWIW

harry strasil
10-17-2010, 6:50 PM
Last March I think it was while I was demoing at our Guild shop during the Lie-Nielson Hand Tool Event, one of the older guild members came up and told me he had an old wood lathe that ran with a flat leather belt and asked me if I wanted it.

A few weeks ago when the wife and I were in KC to deliver the grandsons birthday presents, Rob Young told me it been left at the guild shop and I stopped and picked it up.

Its about 18" between centers all cast iron and the plate says, A. J. Wilkinson & Co. -Makers - Boston Mass.

Marv Werner
10-17-2010, 7:28 PM
Nice batch of saws. Most of those should clean up very nicely. That plastic handled one looks to be a Sandvik, the Swedish company that bought the Disston name from H.K. Porter in 1974. This was long after Disston gave up the ghost in 1955. Never did like the Sandvik saws. Ugly thangs.

Marv

george wilson
10-17-2010, 7:31 PM
Harry,thou doest suckle of the most holy and worshiped kielbasa!!!

Mike Siemsen
10-17-2010, 8:36 PM
Very nice haul. If you go looking for information on your saws there is no R in Shapleigh.
Mike

George Sanders
10-18-2010, 6:38 AM
Thanks Harry. That was right about what I was going to ask for the forge. I was just making an educated guess at it. If I could get two c-notes for it I would recover my outlay and have a hundred to feed my addiction...er hobby.

Thank you Mike. It's always easier to research something when it's spelled correctly.

George Sanders
10-18-2010, 6:49 AM
Thank you Harry. That price was about what my educated guess was. If I get that much I will recover my outlay with money to spare to feed my addiction...er compulsion...oh yeah...hobby. :cool:

Thanks Mike. It's always easier to research something when the spelling is correct.