PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Value

Jim Baker
04-07-2003, 9:54 PM
A coworker recently told me that he harvested a cherry log that was 23 feet long and 20+ inches in diameter at the small end, with no knots (I would have to see that to believe it). He cut it into a 12 foot an an 11 foot section. It has been sawn to 1" thick by 8, 10, and 12" widths. It will go into a dryer this week. He asked me if I had any idea how much the resulting 400 board feet of lumber would sell for. Since the only wood I have ever purchased is oak, I have no idea.

Could any of you give me an idea of the value of cherry lumber in large quantities (not the board at a time prices in woodworking stores)?

Jim Becker
04-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Jim, "where" you are will make a difference, as well as the grading of the lumber. Cherry here in SE PA runs anywhere between $2.50 and $6.00 a board foot with drying method, figure and grading making the difference. Large amounts typically have a slightly better price, like anything else.

Since I happen to love and prefer cherry, I've been buying high-quality air-dried cherry from a small operator near here for between $2.50 and $3.50 bd ft, depending on thickness. While the quality is high, I generally do need to buy a little more for a project (and do) to insure good color and grain matching is possible. When I need something "special", I generally take the run to Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA (about an hour and a half drive) and pay $5-6.00, depending on figure.

Joe_Ott
04-08-2003, 8:43 AM
Jim Becker's prices are about what I pay here around Cleveland (outside of Cleveland proper - in the Amish areas.). $3.50 to about $6.00 b/f KD depending on quality and so on. Even at $3.50 b/f I can get some really nice wood.

Joe

Eric Apple - Central IN
04-08-2003, 10:39 AM
I think most 4/4 lumber starts out about 1 1/8 (according to a good source) green. I wonder if it wasn't a mistake to cut the green wood at 1". After it's dry it will be less then 1", and may not yield the expected 3/4" s4s. Not a huge deal, but it does limit the market.

Mike Mastin
04-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Most 4/4 lumber is cut at 1 1/8" thick. This allows for the final shrinkage factors.

Jim Baker
04-08-2003, 1:22 PM
Thanks for the input. My understanding is that the tree was killed a year ago and left standing until just recently. I believe that they assumed this would reduce the shrink.