PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressors and hoses

Donny Lawson
10-17-2010, 9:15 AM
I would like to know what kind of compressor you have and the set up with the hose.Right now mine is a 20gal. Air Pro from Home Depot. It is belt driven.When my new shop is finished I would like to figure out how to run my hose through the shop without it being all over the floor. I thought about one of those hose reels that hang from the ceiling. Any pics of the setup in your shop for some ideas?
Donny

John Coloccia
10-17-2010, 9:21 AM
I have the larger Dewalt compressor. It replaced my 60 gallon 5HP monster that had a rusted out tank. I don't use it much anymore so I just have the hose on the floor. My previous setup was a short piece of hose going to a bank of 2 regulators. On of them was a small regulator that was used only for spraying. Very clean air. The other regulator was for everything else, had an inline oiler, etc. I also had a hose reel and those are FANTASTIC (mine's from harbor freight...it's one of the things they do very well).

If you want to have drops around your shop, traditionally that's done with black pipe.

Rich Engelhardt
10-17-2010, 11:04 AM
It's not real glamerous - but - for running brads and pins around the shop I just use a 3 gal Evolv compressor and the 10' coiled hose that came with it.

On job sites and around the house (other than the shop), I have an Ingersoll Rand 4 gal "hot dog" that I just drag the hose across the floor.

Bill LaPointe
10-17-2010, 11:09 AM
IR compressor. Water separators. Overhead hose to reels. Reels from HF.

Larry Fox
10-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I have an IR 3HP 60-gallon compressor. I have it hard-piped with 3/4" copper throughout the shop with a bunch of drops in places that make sense. I have a hose reel up high in the center of the shop with enough hose on it to reach anywhere in the shop and a decent distance outside. I have a water trap at the end of one of the runs that I attach the hvlp unit to when spraying. Setup works great and keeps things out of the way. I used to go the hoses all over the floor route until I almost got myself perished by tripping over a hose and almost falling down a set of stairs.

I can take pics if you are interested. Do it right and you will never regret it. Hard piping took an entire Saturday to do but it was worth it.

Donny Lawson
10-17-2010, 7:48 PM
Great pics. I would love to see some of Larry's pics too. I think the hose reels are a nice addition and help keep the hoses off the ground. I will have 10' ceilings so the reels should work out well. More pics if anyone has a few to share.
Donny

Mike Harrison
10-17-2010, 11:22 PM
My layout is somewhat similar to Bill's. I use hard copper line from the compressor, which sets on Oak pads and is secured to the floor with masonary anchors.
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/WW%20tools/Air%20Compressor/Aircomp1.jpg

The copper goes around the shop and has drops a few places. Hoses are on reels, a 25 foot over the bench
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/WW%20tools/Air%20Compressor/benchreal1.jpg

and a 50 foot by the big door.
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv62/mikeinkcmo/WW%20tools/Air%20Compressor/dooreal1.jpg

This particular installation has been in place for about 9 years now and I added the hose reels about 6 years ago or so.

I worried about the possibility of the copper eventually cracking near the compressor but so far all is OK. BTW this compressor has always been on 24-7, and if I don't touch it, it will cycle once every 6 or 7 days, so its pretty air tight.

Dave Lehnert
10-18-2010, 12:13 AM
IR compressor. Water separators. Overhead hose to reels. Reels from HF.

I have a like set up but a smaller portable compressor. I just used regular air hose for the main lines overhead.