PDA

View Full Version : New Member looking for advice

Ken Prater
10-17-2010, 7:27 AM
Hello All,
I'm looking for advice on how to proceed with building an Intertainment Center. I have the lumber for it and some of the tools I will need. The lumber is from a walnut tree that I harvested from the family farm about 40 yrs ago and had a local sawmill saw it for me. At the time, I wanted it for a fireplace mantel so I wound up with a piece 6"x9"x9' and the rest of the tree I had sawed into boards. I still have most of it including the mantel piece. None of it has been planed.

I will need to have the large piece cut into boards and then I will need to to have it all planed or maybe purchase a planer and do it myself (I like the idea of doing it myself).

I don't have a Planer or a Jointer and I'm thinking I definitely want to get myself a jointer and maybe a Planer that I could sell later or if I get into more projects I could upgrade it.

I welcome your thoughts.

P.S. I have been associated with a couple of other groups on the web but I'm amazed at how active this group is!!! Really refreshing to see all the interest out there!

Ken

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-17-2010, 7:54 AM
Ken - welcome !

If you're looking at continuing WW'ing beyond the entertainment center, a planer and/or jointer might be a good investment. If you use the Search feature here, you'll see lots of threads on whether to get both or just one. Some people feel a planer is the first requirement, as it's possible to joint on a planer but not (properly) plane on a jointer.

Secondly - that certainly is one serious piece of walnut!! If there wasn't some sort of 'attachment' to it (harvested from the family farm), I'd say you might find someone that would want a 6"x9"x9' piece of dried walnut, and you could sell it for enough to finance your entire project. I have never worked with walnut, but many here have so hopefully someone will chime in on the 'value' or best approach for that timber.

Ken Prater
10-19-2010, 7:47 AM
Hi John,
Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate the info that "you can join on a planer" I had no idea that might be possible.
Thanks,
Ken

I'm going to put this post in another forum to see if I can get more responses...

Ed Morgano
10-19-2010, 1:11 PM
Ken,
The one thing I wonder about is your skill level. I think you might have several thousand dollars worth of lumber there. I'd hate to build something from it that didn't turn out right. You're probably going to need a router table too to make some of the trim and several router bits. That will turn out to be a sizeable investment in itself. But, the investment in tools will give you and airloom piece that will basically last for generations and be priceless. If you don't have good woodworking skills, you might want to practice on some poplar. It's easy wood to get started with.

Pete Terbovich
10-19-2010, 1:52 PM
I'd agree w/ Ed. From my experience here at Horizon Wood (we sell walnut but not usually anything as thick as your mantel piece!), that single 6" thick chunk would go for somewhere between $500 to $800 depending on quality and market.

It's best to make sure of yourself and skills before diving into wood like that! Popular is a great choice to practice with. I know many experienced woodworkers will mock up a piece in popular before building it from their choice species. It's a great way to test out the joinery.

Best of luck!

Bill Wyko
10-19-2010, 4:42 PM
I might suggest you check out some wood working plans. Try to find something similar to what you are looking to build and adapt to your needs. Good luck

Jerry Olexa
10-19-2010, 6:05 PM
Jointer and planer are both essential IMHO to build quality furniture..But if you're not sure of your dedication level, you could have it milled at a local mill w/o the heavy investment of buying a jointer and a planer now...If you're sure, do your research and look for a sale...G'Luck

Ken Prater
10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Jerry, your suggestion of the planer and jointer confirms what I am already thinking. I got a tip from another member (in another forum on here) that Home Depot sometimes has sales on their Ridgid Brand. Ed, thanks for the "proceed with caution" comments. I have some experience with furniture building. I have an Oak end table that I built with some help from a friend with the planing, another friend did the turning and another friend who loaned me a jointer for the project.

Ken

Bill Wyko
10-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Keep an eye on craigs list for older tools that were made in America. They were built bullet proof back then and can be picked up for a reasonable price.Even the chinese can't make em like we use to.:D

Dave Houseal
10-20-2010, 4:12 PM
Hi Ken,

If you're not in a hurry you can find all the tools you need on Craigslist. A lunchbox planer can be had for around $200, and if you find one in good condition for that price you should be able to sell it and get your money back should you decide you no longer need it.

If you buy new and then sell the tools afterwords you'll likely lose 30% to 50% on your investment.

For an entertainment center, I'd say that you will probably also need a decent table saw and possibly a router.

Ed Morgano
10-20-2010, 6:09 PM
Hi Ken,

If you're not in a hurry you can find all the tools you need on Craigslist. A lunchbox planer can be had for around $200, and if you find one in good condition for that price you should be able to sell it and get your money back should you decide you no longer need it.

If you buy new and then sell the tools afterwords you'll likely lose 30% to 50% on your investment.

For an entertainment center, I'd say that you will probably also need a decent table saw and possibly a router.

Ken,
You can also buy tools on Amazon.com. I found a ryobi lunch box planer for 179.00 http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Ryobi-Surface-RapidSet-ZRAP1301/dp/B000W8OVAU/ref=sr_1_20?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1287612451&sr=1-20.
They also had a Porter Cable planer for 201.99.

Ken Prater
10-21-2010, 7:59 AM
Thanks Guys,
I picked up a vintage lathe and a router/table yesterday that I found on Craig's list. Hopefully I will be able to find a used planer and jointer somewhere also. I like the idea of paying the used prices and then selling later. I have a Shopcraft 10" table saw, a Sears 10" Radial Arm saw, a chop miter saw, a Biscuit jointer etc.
Ken